Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
yukiseto
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Yukiseto

Backup version supported?

Post by yukiseto »

Hi all,

Just start to try this product. Is this backup just always keep the most recent version/status of the mailbox, or is there any setting related to versioning and history? For example, is it possible to fulfill below purpose?
- restore email/mailbox by "point-in-time", that is the exact status of the mailbox in a specific time
- restore previous versions of a message, in case an user has edited the message by himself.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup version supported?

Post by foggy »

Hi, Veeam Backup for Office 365 keeps incremental restore points corresponding to each backup job run, so, yes, you will be able to restore a mailbox to a specific point in time, however, this might be not exactly the state of the original mailbox at that time due to how retention works.
yukiseto
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Yukiseto

Post by yukiseto »

Thanks. I tried again and it works.
One more question: I create a test calendar item called "test1", do a backup, then change the item name from "test1" to "test2", and do the backup again.
After that, I explore the backup and tick the "show all versions" checkbox. I can see both "test1" and "test2" are listed out. But there is no indication that "test1" is indeed an old version that was already replaced by "test2". Is there any way that I can know "test1" is indeed an old version of "test2"?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Yukiseto,

You can't. The way exchange items work is a bit different then versions of files for examples. Any time you make a change, it is seen as a new item

Cheers
Mike