Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cojaxx8
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter

VSS Error with SQL Server Compact Instance

Post by cojaxx8 »

Hi Guys,

Is anyone else seeing VSS errors with SQL Server Compact Instances? I have narrowed it down to the servers that have Azure AD Sync installed.

Unable to release guest. Details: Unfreeze error: [Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{fb8fe17d-ec48-4f71-948d-f443e076e679}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT]. Error code: [0x800423f4].]

These warnings all on different servers (for different clients) and is always the server running Azure AD Sync.

The solution in the past has been to just powercycle the server, and that keeps it happy for another few days, but eventually reappears.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Regards,
Peter
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VSS Error with SQL Server Compact Instance

Post by Mike Resseler »

In the backend Azure AD sync is using SQL server so for some reason the SQL server writer goes into error.

Can you start with a vssadmin list writers (elevated command prompt) and look at the output? the SQLserverwriter is probably in an error state and (hopefully) gives you some more information. The event log should also give you some information.
cojaxx8
Novice

Post by cojaxx8 »

Hi MIke,

vssadmin list writers shows this.
Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'
Writer Id: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
Writer Instance Id: {fb8fe17d-ec48-4f71-948d-f443e076e679}
State: [8] Failed
Last error: Non-retryable error

The event log shows the following error.

SQLVDI: Loc=SignalAbort. Desc=Client initiates abort. ErrorCode=(0). Process=1484. Thread=12052. Client. Instance=LOCALDB#SHB929F2. VD=Global\{666AAA47-7A18-4785-84AC-7A1C997A6AFF}4_SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

I was able to find this solution (veeam-backup-replication-f2/sql-server- ... 23928.html), but in his instance I believe a full version of SQL 2012 was being used. The version that comes with Azure AD Sync is 2012 LocalDB, which is different to Express. I don't think you can apply service packs to it in the same way. I will try downloading the latest SQL 2012 SP but I recall doing this last time and it said no instances were found.
SdC
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by SdC »

Sounds a lot like the problem in this thread: veeam-backup-replication-f2/bunch-of-se ... 37483.html
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Peter,

Sorry for my late reply. I missed it with travel last week. Can you please create a support call? Our engineers will be able to dive deeper into the logs to see what is going wrong. Please post the case ID here and the follow-up after that

Thanks
Mike
SmithErick
Novice
Full Name: Erick Smith

Post by SmithErick »

How was this ever solved for you? I am experiencing the same issue.
cojaxx8
Novice

Post by cojaxx8 »

Sorry I don't think I got an email notification about this.

I've had a bit of success with making sure the latest SP for SQL (2012 SP4 Local DB)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=56042

Just make sure you download the Local DB one. I made the mistake before of downloading the full version!

ENU\x64\SqlLocalDB.msi
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Peter,

Thanks for letting us know what solved your issue! Appreciated