Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Hovi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Petr Hovorka

Veeam Backup&Replication installation on environment servers

Post by Hovi »

Hello,

please help a little with B&R server deployment. Customer has a small environment on vSphere 6.5 and his environment is limited on Windows licences - we got 4 Win server licences only, the rest of machines are mostly Linux based VMs. Windows environment is newly bulit - based on retired SMB Server.

Could you please advice the "least evil" target server for B&R server:
- Exchange server (Win Server 2016, Exchange 2016 - on one server, about 600 GB, up to 50 users)
- SQL database (Win Server 2016, SQL 2016 Standard, several productions DBs, about 800 GB)
- "Terminal server" (user applicatons available through RDP, several users are connected permanently)

My favorite is the SQL server. The 4th not mentioned server is DC ;-)

Thanks

Petr
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam Backup&Replication installation on environment ser

Post by PTide »

Hi,

In my opinion "the least evil" option would be to place VBR on the terminal server so VBR does not consume mission critical resources from the Exchange and database servers. BTW, are those two physical or virtual? Also make sure to check system requirements. The other thing that you should keep in mind is that you need other components to be installed somewhere - proxy server and repository. Sure you can place them on the same server but each of the components also consumes additional resources (RAM, CPU)

Thanks
Hovi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Petr Hovorka

Post by Hovi »

Hi,

thanks - terminal server was my second favorite. All the servers are virtual, there are only two physical servers - ESXi hosts, whole environment is running in vSphere.

Of course I'll add proper resources for backup purposes.

I checked system requirements but I was not able to find anything about restrictions on such kind of servers.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

There are no restrictions on where to place backup infrastructure components, but only common sense - for example, you should not place proxy role on a box that heavily utilizes network interfaces and RAM, or you should not place repository on a box that does not have robust and reliable storage etc.

Thanks