Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Someonenew2014
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Veeam agent for oracle E-Business over Hyper-v

Post by Someonenew2014 »

Greeting,

I can see a lot of work has been done from Veeam side. It is great work for publishing agents for physical servers to minimize the gap between Veeam and other competitors.

My question about whether supported or not for this setup

Hyper-V 2012 R2- VM guest Oracle Linux 6 or 7 - Oracle E-Business Application and DB.

if I used the agent for linux
1- Is VM guest backup through this agent is supported ? or just a physical server.
2- If it is supported , is it application-consistent backup ?

3- In case not supported what is the option that I can go with like backup local and then backup through Veeam ? This is from Veeam point of view as recommendation.

Thank you in advance.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Veeam agent for oracle E-Business over Hyper-v

Post by PTide »

Hi,

1 - It is supported, however there is no support for paravirtualization.
2 - You can run custom scripts before and after a snapshot is taken in order to prepare you applications for consistent backup.
3 - In case scripts do not fit you can stick with the "local DB backup + regular VM backup" approach, indeed.

Thanks
Someonenew2014
Enthusiast

Post by Someonenew2014 »

Thank you for your response.

Can you elaborate more on point 1. I'm not familiar with (paravirtualization).
VM guest is supported without application-consistent backup, is this what you are trying to say?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

1. Paravirtualization is another way of virtualization - the guest operating system is aware that it is a guest and accordingly has drivers that, instead of issuing hardware commands, simply issue commands directly to the host operating system.

2. I was trying to say that app.consistent backup does not work out of the box - you'll need to use some app.specific scripts.

Thanks
Someonenew2014
Enthusiast

Post by Someonenew2014 »

Thanks. It is clear for me now.

Just one point to confirm.

In this case where agent supported via linux VMs. Assume all volumes or files can be restored to this VM.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

In this case where agent supported via linux VMs. Assume all volumes or files can be restored to this VM.
If VM's guest OS is supported by Veeam Agent for Linux then you can perform both volume and file level backups. The former allows you to restore both volumes and files, while the latter allows you to restore only files. I'm not quite sure if that was the question though.

Thanks
Someonenew2014
Enthusiast

Post by Someonenew2014 »

Thanks. This is answer my question.