Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dcampregher
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Diogo Campregher

FLR Linux Failed to mount restore point

Post by dcampregher »

Hello,

In an environment with two ESXi clusters, one 5.1 and other 6.0 we have the following behavior:

Cluster 5.1> The Linux FLR works fine with no problems for any VM/Restore Point.
Cluster 6.0> The Linux FLR not work for any VMs even VMs that are in the same L2 Network that VMs in the Cluster 5.1.

When i start the FLR the following error happen in the VBR:

Failed to moun restore point.
Linux FLR Appliance deploy failed: Failed to mount NFS volume (172.X.X.X:/VeeamBackup_server.domain.com_).
172.X.X.X: Fault "PlatformConfigFaultFault" , detail "NFS mount 172.X.X.X:/VeeamBackup_server.domain.com_ failed: Unable to connect to NFS server."
Unable to connect to NFS server."
An error occurred during host configuration.

For both cluster we are using the same Veeam Backup Server and Repository.

The ESXi host need to have access only to Backup Server to mount the NFS Datastore, right ? Even if the Repository are in other server ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: FLR Linux Failed to mount restore point

Post by PTide »

Hi,
The ESXi host need to have access only to Backup Server to mount the NFS Datastore, right ? Even if the Repository are in other server ?
Right.

Have you tried to enable vPower NFS service on the repo where the backups are stored?

Thanks
dcampregher
Service Provider

Post by dcampregher »

Hi PTide,

The FLR Linux works with this same infrastructure ( Backup Server and Repository ) for other Cluster so i think that the side of Veeam are all right. Only in one cluster the error happen.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

I had a customer getting a similar error with the Linux FLR appliance, and in his case he had to set the ESXi firewall rule to allow NFS connectivity. I can't remember if this was on the host running the main VBR server or the one running the proxy. You may want to check that. Here are the commands he used on the host to do this.

Code: Select all

esxcli network firewall ruleset set --ruleset-id nfsServer --enabled true
esxcli network firewall ruleset set --ruleset-id nfsServer --allowed-all true
Joe
dcampregher
Service Provider

Post by dcampregher »

Hello,

My Repository Server are located in a dedicated network so the ESXi hosts can't access its. After change the default Mount Server for the repository to the Backup Server the FLR works fine.
Jean-Philippe
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Jean-Philippe »

Hello, having the same issue. What I don't understand is the link between NFS Mount point and the Appliance. Are the mount servers involved to mount the backup to the FLR Appliance ?

All repositories, are DataDomain Extent for SOBR.
Each extent rely on a proxy server with the mount service enabled.

Any suggestion guys ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Jean-Philippe wrote:Hello, having the same issue. What I don't understand is the link between NFS Mount point and the Appliance. Are the mount servers involved to mount the backup to the FLR Appliance ?
Yes, the backup is mounted to the host via vPower NFS datastore and VM disk is added to FLR appliance.
Jean-Philippe wrote:Each extent rely on a proxy server with the mount service enabled.
Does host have access to the proxy servers?