Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rntguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rnt Guy

90 day recovery capability

Post by rntguy »

Hi,

looking for advice on having 90 consecutive days of file level recovery. The user has almost 30 TB of free space on their onsite backup repository and doesn't want to store anymore than 30 days offsite for cost reasons.

We're currently using reverse incrementals with monthly health checks, weekly synthetic fulls, no active fulls scheduled. If I did 90 days on the backup job I'd have 1 vbk every week and 6 dailies for 90 days total.

Another option is some sort of backup copy job option to keep the backup chain short but it would duplicate the first 30 days to accomplish this.

Any concerns with such a long retention period? They did reiterate they don't want weekly's only after 30 days but 90 actual days to recover from. Another option is some sort of previous versions built into Windows OS. But we have 3 days of every 4 hours turned on for that right now. Not sure of implications of having 1 a day for 90 days in there instead of in Veeam.

Thoughts?

mma
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Marcel

Re: 90 day recovery capability

Post by mma »

rntguy wrote: Any concerns with such a long retention period? They did reiterate they don't want weekly's only after 30 days but 90 actual days to recover from. Another option is some sort of previous versions built into Windows OS. But we have 3 days of every 4 hours turned on for that right now. Not sure of implications of having 1 a day for 90 days in there instead of in Veeam.
90 days with weekly fulls is not a long retention / backup chain at all - go with it.
VSS previous version is a nice feature and easy to use. But please don't name it a backup!

Regards
Marcel
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Shadow Copy wouldn't be reliable enough to ensure 90 days retention.
You could activate deduplication on your repository if you have Windows Server 2016 ( or 2012R2 if you're in the limits) or use ReFS (only 2016).
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

thanks all. i'm upping it to 90 days with weekly SF's. will monitor for space usage and consider enabling dedupe if needed. a bit concerned about corruption and sluggishness so going to wait and see if it's needed.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

rntguy wrote:We're currently using reverse incrementals with monthly health checks, weekly synthetic fulls, no active fulls scheduled.
I'm a bit confused, since this is not possible - synthetic fulls are available for forward incremental mode only.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

Sorry, that was a mistype. You're correct. Forward incrementals :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Got it, indeed, 90 days is not actually a long retention. I'd also consider less frequent fulls or switching to forever forward incremental mode, if space is a concern.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

I don't think synthetic fulls can be scheduled less frequently than weekly. This isn't active fulls.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, you can switch to monthly active fulls, if applicable.