Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
wxs
Lurker
Liked: never

Hyper-V backup proxy in Veeam Backup Free Edition

Post by wxs »

Hi all together,

I'm currently playing around with B&R free edition and ran into some problems but hope you guys can help me. The infrastructure consists of two Hyper-V Server 2016 in the same domain and are connected via VPN. Each site has a NAS for backup repository so every host should directly backup to the repository on the own site. The B&R server is installed on site A where all backups run fine to NAS through the B&R server and this happens in the same way on site B. This is pain because backups are running over VPN to site A for processing and are sent back to the NAS on site B. On the Veeam webpage it is mentioned:
In the Hyper-V environment, VM data is processed on the source Hyper-V host that performs the role of the default backup proxy. The backup traffic goes from the source Hyper-V host to the backup destination, bypassing the Veeam backup server. The Veeam backup server controls the job performance.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/fre ... cture.html

So this is definitely not happening because traffics flows through the B&R server "mostly" every time I start a backup. I just got it working for two backups via VeeamZIP through the console but also have seen that one VM backup on site B was running over Hyper-V on site A as a proxy. So proxy is working but I cannot influence how and when the proxy is used due to the free edition that should consider this automatically. Just to add, I investigated which host was writing the backup by checking the active connections to the NAS. I also got the same behaviour when running backup via powershell script.

Hope you can help me,

Cheers Timo
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Hyper-V backup proxy in Veeam Backup Free Edition

Post by nmdange »

This is actually because you are using a NAS as your backup repository. Normally when you use a Windows or Linux computer as the backup repository, Veeam will install some components on the backup repository itself to move the data from the backup proxy (on-host or off-host) to the repository. When you use a NAS or Dedupe appliance, those components are not available so by default Veeam will use the Backup server to do the data movement unless you specify a gateway. I am not sure if the gateway is available in the free edition but here's the info on it: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

If you can't use a gateway, you'll have to find a Windows or Linux computer to use instead of a NAS. If your NAS supports iSCSI, you can attach it to a computer and use it that way.