Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nakamitchi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sysadminas

snapshot Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider location

Post by nakamitchi »

Hello,

where can i find snapshot location of Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider. Am afraid of not enough space in the disk...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: snapshot Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider location

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

VSS snapshot is mounted either to the off-host proxy or is stored on the on-host proxy (Hyper-V host itself). Can you please clarify your issue? Do you see job failures due to lack of the free space on the disk? What disk do you refer to?

Thank you!
nakamitchi
Novice
Full Name: Sysadminas

Post by nakamitchi »

We have thinly deduped volume on which VM vhdx exists. So i wonder if snapshot will not consume all free space because it will lead to volume crash if we exceed space limits. Or maybe veeam will not create snapshot if volume free space is not enough?

And also i havent tried to backup VM with veeam. Due to lack of space i have to delete all previous backup done with other software... But when im not sure about veeam backup success i dont wanna do it

Im doing off-host backup.
msullivan@csa1.com
Influencer
Full Name: Matt Sullivan

Post by msullivan@csa1.com »

I have a similar issue with one of our 2012r2 hosts, and we get error/warning of 'low disk space' &
'Skipping VM processing due to insufficient free disk space on drive'
we tried to change checkpoint location to a different disk, but I guess Veeam is using vss and stores the shadow copy with the .vhdx

Do we need to enable/configure Shadow Copies on the disk we pointed the Checkpoints to, which has pleanty of free space?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You can set up a desired value for the notification about the free space and choose to skip processing of the VM there.
msullivan@csa1.com wrote:Do we need to enable/configure Shadow Copies on the disk we pointed the Checkpoints to, which has pleanty of free space?
If it necessary in your case you can do that, we have no such requirement.
Please review this existing discussion about the same issue. Thanks!
RWeiss
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Insufficient Snapshot Space for Excluded Disk

Post by RWeiss »

Hello

We currently have a SQL VM which is backed up by Veeam which has a system disk on CSV1 and multiple large data disks on CSV2. We have excluded the data disks since the beginning, as we perform our SQL backups with a different tool plus these are shared VHDX which Veeam cannot backup anyway. Yesterday we moved to a different, larger volume and expanded the data VHDX.

Now, since the migration of yesterday, Veeam complains that there is not enough free space

"Production drive C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2 is getting low on free space (328,6 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots.
Error: Skipping VM processing due to insufficient free disk space on drive C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2."

However, we are not processing any VHDX on this volume. Is there a way to still be able to process the system disk of that VM (which is on a different volume)?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Even if you exclude some disks from a VM a VSS snapshot is taken for the entire VM, that's why you see this error message. To resolve this, you can either tweak the settings mentioned above or try redirecting VSS snapshot to another location with more free space.

Thank you!