Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Danne84
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Veeam creates snapshots every 4hrs

Post by Danne84 »

I have problems with Veeam Backup is trying to create new snapshots on several VMs even when the backup job is not running.
I cannot see anything in VBR but i can see that the backup user account is accessing the vCenter exaclty at the time when this is happening.

Also the snapshot creation fails and then it runs again 4hrs later, so i have VMs that has like 170 failed snapshots and all of the VMDK-files are around 20MB.
And i can see on the VM that the hard disk vmdk file name changes every time this happens.
So vmdk filename ends with "000218.vmdk"

One example is:
"Consolidate virtual machine disk files, The virtual disk is either corrupted or not a supported format."

and another:
"Consolidate virtual machine disk files, An error occurred while consolidating disks: 38 (Function not implemented)."

Veeam backup says this on one of the jobs: "has stuck VM snapshot, will attempt to consolidate periodically "

When looking at the datastore on this VMs i can se all the small vmdk-files.

Also, This 2 VMs is on 2 completley different systems.
Different backup servers, different versions, different version of ESXi and so on.
Different storage etc.

Anyone else that has seen this behavior in Veeam backup?
it looks like there is some built in task scheduler that i cannot see
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam creates snapshots every 4hrs

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please double-check if any other software aside Veeam could access the hosts, and contact our support team directly so they can take a closer look at your setup. Once you do please post your case ID in this thread.

Thank you
Danne84
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by Danne84 »

Case ID: 02377462
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks like Snapshot Hunter activity, but I'd still check with support why it is not successful.