Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Restoring Replicated Backup-Copied Agent Backups

Post by ChuckS42 »

So, I've got a bit of a convolution with regards to a series of old physical server backups I'm migrating into Veeam via the Agent for Windows. I restore the backup from our old backup software to a temporary location on our primary Veeam B&R server, then use the Agent to back it up to a local Veeam Repository. However, the resulting backup job name carries no descriptive information that is useful, so I then create a Backup Copy job to copy this backup with a descriptive name. THEN the destination backup repository (containing the Copy Job) is replicated to our DR site (via array replication). I import the replicated backup images into a separate Veeam B&R server at the remote datacenter (which is registered to the same Veeam Enterprise Manger instance as the primary B&R server), and I can see all the replicated Agent copy-job backups.

Finally to the issue - If I select one of these jobs from the Backups -> Disk (imported) view and attempt a file restore I get an error saying "Backup files are unavailable". However, if I attempt a restore from an Agent installed on that remote B&R server, point it to itself via the Network Storage -> Veeam backup repository option, I can restore files just fine.

My vague understanding is this has to do with authentication - for some reason the remote VB&R server cannot validate the account used to create the copy-jobbed & replicated Agent backup in the first place (despite the fact that it runs under the context of that very same account), and that the Agent's own FLR capability does not have that limitation.

Now, this is all fine for now. I can read and restore from my replicated backups just fine, via the Agent on the remote VB&R server. However, I'd like to be able to do so directly from the remote VB&R console as well. Is my interpretation of events accurate? And is this something Veeam can fix?
Veeaming since 2013
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restoring Replicated Backup-Copied Agent Backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chuck,

What versions both Veeam B&R servers are running? Do you see this behaviour only with agent backup copy or with other backup files too? Thanks in advance.
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 2. Only with the Agent backup copies; regular Veeam backups restore just fine (replicated to the remote datacenter in the same way as the Agent backups).
Veeaming since 2013
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Chuck,

Thanks for clarification. This behavior does not look like expected, so I have to ask you to open a support case. This case might be related to Veeam B&R backup copy functionality, so feel free to use a Veeam B&R as a product reference. Please do not forget to share the case ID in this thread.