baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

direct storage access and virtual appliance

Post by baber »

Dear all
Hi

i understand these from direct storage access and virtual appliance about backup proxy

1 - i can use from direct storage access when all of my vms are on a lun that created on san storage
and in this mode have to run another physical server as a backup proxy this physical server have to connect directly to that san
now when get backup all of backup traffic will be crossing from this physical server through fc connections

2- in virtual appliance i understand virtual appliance that associated as a backup proxy have to put on a storage LUN that can see other vm disks is that correct ??

3 - in virtual appliance backup proxy tranport mode the machine that i want get backup from it via backup proxy disks of that machone will be attached to backup proxy and it will get backup from disk and after get backup it will be disattached from backup proxy ????

BR
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: direct storage access and virtual appliance

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Babak,

1. Correct. Direct SAN proxy is usually a dedicated physical server connected to your SAN via FC/iSCSI
2. Yes, backup proxy should have access to all LUNs that the processed VMs belong to. I've shared the URL with th description for this mode in your another topic.
3. Correct.

Thanks!