PowerShell script exchange
CloudMan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: TJ

Export Backup Job Emails Into Excel?

Post by CloudMan »

Hello,

I am having a hard time trying to find some sort of script where I can have the backup job emails from our customers and import then into an excel spreadsheet and automatically fill them in as Success or Failed. I currently spend around 20 hours a week manually going through each customers backup job email and marking them as "Success" or "Failed" in my spreadsheet which has a page in it per customer.

I would really like to cut down on that time and have this process automated so I can open the spreadsheet with it already filled out, and then review it and cross reference the email for more details. Although some backup jobs have 0 data being transferred, so that would have to be marked as "failed".

Can something like this be done at all? I found a few VBA scripts online for Outlook, but I do not know enough to get them working, or they are not quite what I need.

Thanks for your time!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Export Backup Job Emails Into Excel?

Post by veremin »

May be instead of parsing emails, it would be easier to run "protected VMs" reports in customers' environments once a day or so and collect needed information this way? Alternatively you can set some script as a post-job activity, the script will provide you with up-to-date information regarding VM protection status. Thanks.
denper
Lurker
Full Name: Dennis

Post by denper »

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, we received emails on a daily basis and are manually checking these off in excel.

There must be a better way to do this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

5 years later, there are other options than PowerShell, yes. Technically you can check the job status and then generate Excel with PowerShell (first Google hit, for sure there are other ways).

It looks like this topic was started by a service provider. If you are a service provider, I recommend looking at the Veeam Service Provider Console and the reporting capabilities there. The main question is, why does it need to be Excel?

For end-users, I would go for the "protected VMs" report in Veeam ONE. Export to Excel is possible if SQL Reporting Services are used.

Best regards,
Hannes
denper
Lurker
Full Name: Dennis

Post by denper »

Thanks for the reply, i'll look into the links provided.