Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

what is priority for use backup proxy

Post by baber »

Dear all
Hi

i have a question about function of proxy affinity :

for example i set on my repository2 to use backup proxy2 but create a new backup job that set backup repository2 and set proxy1 now i want to know in this mode which proxy will be use ???

priority for use backup proxy is first for affinity proxy and then backup proxy that select during create backup job ???

BR
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: what is priority for use backup proxy

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Babak,

Proxy affinity determines what backup proxies can access data in the specific repository, however, if all predefined proxies are inaccessible, then VBR automatically failover to the regular processing mode. You will get a warning in the job or task session and picks the most appropriate backup proxy from the list of proxies selected for the job or task. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

[MERGED] proxy affinity priority

Post by baber »

Dear all
Hi

i have a question about priority in affinity proxy if i set affinity proxy for repository and select other proxy for a repository in veeam backup job which of them has highest priority affinity proxy or backup proxy that select in backup job

BR
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks

i read document but now could not get answer:

1- if select a proxy affinity for a repository then change a new proxy for that repository in veeam backup job which of them will be had highest priority proxy affinity on each repository or select a proxy in veeam job wizard??

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

The proxy selected in the proxy affinity will always have the highest priority, but if you'll force the job to use another proxy for the same repository, then it will show you a warning and ignore affinity rules. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks
but in veeam document i see this :

When transporting data to/from the backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication picks a backup proxy from the proxy affinity list rather than backup proxies specified in job or task settings.

it say proxy affinity has highest priority even we select the other backup proxy in backup job it will be use backup proxy that select in proxy affinity

now i am confused which of them is correct ??
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

There are two possible scenarios:
1. You have 5 backup proxies in the infrastructure, two of them are in the list of affinity. In the backup job you manually selected 3 for processing and only one of them from the list of affinity.
This way the backup proxy from the list will be used for processing unless it goes unresponsive\down.
2. You have 5 backup proxies, two of them are in the list of affinity, but in the backup job you manually select only one proxy that is not in the affinity list.
In this case you will get a warning message and the job will be executed ignoring the proxy affinity rule. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

senario2 is ok

but in senario1 you said :

we have 5 backup up proxy and select 2of them in proxy affinity now we create a new job in job select 3 backup repository ????

we can just select one backup proxy during create backup job how select 3 backup proxy during backup job??

can you example senario1 in one backup job ?

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Babak,

On the storage step of the job wizard, you can press Choose button on the right side of the Backup proxy line and select several proxies from the list. Thanks!