Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RumataRus
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dmitry Prokudin

vMotion & replication

Post by RumataRus »

If we do move a VM to another host, which we have configured replication, then replication is meaningless. How Veeam reacts to this situation?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: vMotion & replication

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam Backup is fully vMotion aware, just make sure you've added vCenter server to the backup console, versus individual ESX(i) hosts.
RumataRus
Enthusiast

Post by RumataRus »

Hello, Vitaliy!

Will Veeam Backup change datastore or host in replication job if it turns out that they are the same with a VM and its replica?
Or will Veeam Backup generate alert about it?

Now (after vMotion) I have a VM and its replica with the same datastore and host. I see it in vCenter.
But in Veeam Backup I see that source host and target host in the original state, they are different.
Who is right Veeam Backup or vCenter?
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Dmitry,

Concerning "source host and target host in the original state", could you post a picture of B&R's UI so we would also see what you're seeing?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

RumataRus wrote:Will Veeam Backup change datastore or host in replication job if it turns out that they are the same with a VM and its replica?
Or will Veeam Backup generate alert about it?
Not sure what alert are you talking about...Veeam will automtically detect a source VM by moref ID assigned by vCenter Server, and then will try to replicate this VM to the host you've chosen as a target destination. You can even replicate to the same host if needed, anyway your source and replicated VMs will have different names and moref IDs in vCenter Server database.
RumataRus
Enthusiast

Post by RumataRus »

As I understand it, replication makes sense if and only if the source (host and datastore) and the target (host and datastore) are completely different.
Otherwise if source host or source datastore fails then the replica fails too.
If something matches, then it is an occasion for alerts.
RumataRus
Enthusiast

Post by RumataRus »

Alexey D. wrote:Hello Dmitry,

Concerning "source host and target host in the original state", could you post a picture of B&R's UI so we would also see what you're seeing?
Here: http://webfile.ru/5101268
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VM replication to the same host might make sense if you want to move your production VM (assuming that you do not have storage Vmotion) to another datastore connected to the same host, not sure it should trigger a warning message.
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Dmitry, we've got your pictures.

This behaviour of UI is expected and brings up no contradictions: under the "Replicas" node there's info about last job's run.
And for that run the information was actual. So, when starting replication once again, B&R will figure out - your VM has moved to another location - and will pull data using updated path.
RumataRus
Enthusiast

Post by RumataRus »

Vitaliy S. wrote:VM replication to the same host might make sense if you want to move your production VM (assuming that you do not have storage Vmotion) to another datastore connected to the same host, not sure it should trigger a warning message.
I do agree, it might make sense in the above situation, but it is standard situation.
Case of loss of a replica - it's an emergency situation.
IMHO the Product is designed primarily to help in an emergency situation.
Thus the needs of emergency situations should take precedence.
So IMHO it would be nice to have such a warning, which would help prevent an emergency.