Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
toreml
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Tore Mejlænder-Larsen

Backup copy jobs don't create weekly or monthly

Post by toreml »

Hi.
I've created backup copy jobs with 30 restore points - and 4 weekly, 3 monthly and 5 yearly backups.

The problem is that the full weekly and monthly (have not yet have need for yearly) is not created.
When I look at the backup copy job on the disk - there is only the full baseline backup and only incremental there after.

Any idea why it don't create the full backup sets?
Is there somewhere I should set an settings other than to define the different retentions?

Regards
Tore ML
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup copy jobs don't create weekly or monthly

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Tore,

The backup copy job uses a backup method called Forever Forward Incremental, so with the simple retention set to 30, you will get the first full weekly when the full backup file will reach the day marked as weekly by GFS retention. Thanks!
toreml
Expert

Post by toreml »

Hi.

Some backup jobs have been running for more that one month - but no weekly / monthly full is still not created.
The full monthly backup should have been created on the 4th of November.

I now found out that I only have have 14 restore point in the bcj - since it was created later than the first job.
So I quess that I have untill we reach 30 restore points for the creation of the full backups.

Tore
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Tore,

Please share settings of the source backup job, also what interval you chose for the backup copy job? Thanks!
toreml
Expert

Post by toreml »

The monthly/weekly has now been created after the simple retention reached 30.
Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Tore,

Thank you for following up! I am glad the process running smoothly according to plan.
Do not hesitate to ask additional questions.
dognose
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: dognose

Post by dognose »

Hi there,

I'm facing the same issue, think I understand it by now, but one question remains:

I'm running a continous copy job, which is set to keep 100 Restore Points.
I also configured that job to keep 28 weekly backup, which - in my expectation - should lead to the following
Restore Points (Overall):

- About 3 months of DAILY data.
- About 1 Year of WEEKLY data.

The Copy Job is now running since 84 days and therefore created 1 vbk-File and 83 vib-files.

So, currently I have no weekly restore-Point, cause every weekly point would still be covered by the simple retention policy? right?

Then, the final question would be:
Once the Backup-Job reaches the point where 100 points are exceeded and a weekly (full) backup should be performed:
What is the datasource?

- Will it take the 100-days-old full backup file from the Copy-Location
- Will it take the closest restore-point from the actual BACKUP-Location? (Which only holds 14 restore-points)

Also i'm not quite sure about the disk-usage of that. If the weekly backups are FULL-Backups - wouldn't
a simple-retention-policy with 365 days (forever incremental) use LESS Disk-Space than - let's say - 180 daily + 28 weekly restore points?
(while also having daily version for the first half of the year?)

Or are the weekly restore points deduped / incremental their selfes?

best,
dognose
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

Exactly, this is due to your simple retention policy of 100 restore points . The data is just being merged in the full, and then if this point is a GFS point, it is flagged as "archived" (sealed) and a new full is created locally in the repository based on the data that is already in the repository. You can read more here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Try out this. Every time you click 1x, you simulate a daily job run. Click around 100+ times 1x to see your first weeklies appear. (you can fast forward by using 28x maybe 3 times ;)) :
http://rps.dewin.me/?m=3&s=1000&r=100&c ... 28,0,0,0&x