Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ricardo.simoes
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Container backup. Docker

Post by ricardo.simoes »

Hi. When will VBR support the native backup of docker containers?.

How is it works actually with docker?

It would be interesting to restore in the same way as Veeam Explorer for other applications (MSSQL, AD, etc.)...

rgds

caseID 02206773
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VMware Container (Docker)

Post by veremin »

Hi, Ricardo,

Do you mind describing your use case in more details? While talking about containers backup, what particular components come to your mind? Stateful containers, metadata, etc.?

Thanks.
ricardo.simoes
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Re: Container backup. Docker

Post by ricardo.simoes »

Hi, I was on vacation and it was not possible to respond earlier.

For example:
In case of Disaster Recovery, how can I recover everything in an automated way (Image, containers, etc.). Basicaly i want to use something like "docker start HOSTNAME" and get my apps/services online.

rgds
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Can you just backup physical servers or VMs which are running your docker infrastructure? I assume your apps/services are already configured to auto-start when the infrastructure server boots up (otherwise they would not survive reboot), so no special steps would be required after the restore?
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Post by ashleyw »

hi guys,
We may have a similar requirement.

We are just starting to look at the possibility of using containers for some of our workloads for production level services like Jira and Confluence that we need to run on-prem (which for various reasons we can't run with SAAS at this stage or in the public cloud).
We are just brainstorming the possibility of using something like Rancher to manage the Docker layer for the containers and persisting data through the use of volume drivers (we are a vmware shop so could in theory use; https://vmware.github.io/docker-volume-vsphere/) so the data can survive if a container is started on a different container host. Some teams have used NFS but this typically introduces a single point of failure.
We are aware of vsphere integrated containers, but would ideally like to use something with less lockin to the vsphere hypervisor; https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere ... iners.html

I'm busy contemplating setting up a lab for this and the implications from a backup perspective - has anyone worked with this stuff before and been able to use Veeam for backups (we don't really want to use file based backups as the volumes would contain 10000's of objects so file based backup would likely be too slow.

Any advice would be much appreciated as to the options.
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Post by ashleyw »

any ideas guys?
I think the issue here is that from what I can see form a quick google, the VADP layer is not docker "volume driver" aware, therefor the only way to backup these types of volumes is going to be either to mount these volumes inside the VM and then replicate the contents at a file system level to another VM with traditional storage, but this is messy, or alternatively Veeam integrates to the SAN mode style connection and backs up the VMFS folder that represents the docker volume (in the case of the docker volume driver).
Any docker architects out there that can brainstorm the options?
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Support for that would be very nice. Backup is the thing that is keeping us from using the volume driver...
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

[MERGED] SQL 2017 Docker/Linux

Post by mkretzer »

Hello,

how likely is it that there will be full support for the docker version of Microsoft SQL server under linux? I mean including log backup and so on...

Markus
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

[MERGED] Re: SQL 2017 Docker/Linux

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Do you mean if VBR will ever be able to backup MSSQL database installed inside container that is running in Linux VM under Hyper-V? If so then do you expect this to work as simple as adding a container as an ordinary VM and select MSSQL processing in the Advanced Options? Also I guess it would make sense to backup only the database and transaction logs so it can be restored elsewhere (another container or VM). Or do you expect Veeam to save the whole container/image as well (be it save, export, or commit operation)?

Thanks
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

[MERGED] Re: SQL 2017 Docker/Linux

Post by mkretzer »

Not Hyper-V but VMware. And yes, normal backup of the container host + MSSQL processing. But you are right with containers the container host basically becomes irrelevant.
syeda
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Syeda Ume Rubab Bukhari

Post by syeda »

Hi All,

I need some information about veeam replication job.

In my vCenter environment, docker VM is running and I want to create replica of this VM to another vCenter. Does Veeam supports replication of Docker VM?

Please give an answer as soon as possible because it's urgent. Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam literally does not care what is inside of the protected VMs.