Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StefanVM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan B

Validity Test failed due to lack of memory

Post by StefanVM »

Dear Veeam Users,

I have an issue with using the virtual lab for validity testing (SureBackup Job).
I have 16GB RAM on the server where the Virtual Lab is set up and 5GB on there are used for another VM.
The VM whose backups I want to test are all together in one application group (8 VMs) and I have set each startup percentage so that it uses a maximum of 4GB of RAM.
I know that the virtual lab itself uses about 1GB. So, there should be more than sufficient memory.

When the validity test starts, it first tests a VM with 2GB of RAM, and it does that successfully. The 2nd VM has 8GB of memory but it is only set to start up with 50% in the virtual lab.

When it is trying to start up the 2nd VM, I get the error that there is not sufficient memory in the system to start up the VM. The error is as follows:
Not enough memory in the system to start the virtual machine XXX with ram size 4096 megabytes. 'XXX could not initialize memory: Ran out of memory'.

For me, this error doesn't make any sense because there is definitely enough memory. Before trying the validity testing, there was another VM running on the host with 6GB of RAM but I shut it down for trying validity testing.

What can be the cause for this error?

- Stefan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Validity Test failed due to lack of memory

Post by foggy »

Hi Stefan, VMs in the Application Group are started together. You need to use linked backup job instead and limit the number of VMs processed simultaneously in the SureBackup job.
StefanVM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan B

Post by StefanVM »

Thank you foggy for your response.

How does it work with linked jobs? I can only link to regular backups but not to SureBackups.
I have also tried to make one SureBackup for each VM and then let them run after each other. However in the schedule setup under "After this job" I can only specify that they should run after a backup. I can't select a SureBackup.
Now I let them run on a timed schedule, starting every half an hour. This however is not ideal of course.

The settings in Veeam make it really difficult to handle this kind of issues and it is unfortunately not really straight-forward on what I should select.

- Stefan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I meant linking backup jobs in SureBackup job itself, not chaining jobs to run one after another.