Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Backup of NFS mounts not supported

Post by Henrik.Grevelund »

Hi

Is there any way to make the agent accept backup of files on a NFS mounted filesystem ?

I do acknowledge to potential misuse of licensing because 1 linux server could backup several machines data, but it will not be able to protect the system in total. So i don't believe it would be misused in production setups.
It would help being able to protect even more data where veeam can't be installed.

Have a nice weekend,
Henrik
Have nice day,
Henrik
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Backup of NFS mounts not supported

Post by nielsengelen »

Currently there is no workaround sadly however this has been requested before so we'll look into this.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Post by Henrik.Grevelund »

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the quick answer.
Have something to look forward to then :-)

Have nice weekend,
Henrik
Have nice day,
Henrik
pheyns
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Phillip Heyns

Post by pheyns »

I also logged a ticket for this today and they suggested I post in the forum.
This is definitely a feature we need. We are trying to decommission old, deprecated Backup Software so we can consolidate on VEEAM, but we are unable to do so until this feature is available.
Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

May I ask you what kind of data do you keep on that NFS share (data files, media files, root filesystem)? How many of those?

Thanks
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Post by ashleyw »

hi, This requirement also relates to some investigation we are doing in terms of containers and using NFS for persisting container data. In our case the NFS layer could be exposed directly from the SAN device, so in our case things like attachments etc would be stored (1000s of binary objects). It would be great to use Veeam for this rather than one of the old school agent based backup solutions from other vendors.
I guess a VM would need to be identified as requiring to be backup up through an inside VM agent style backup rather than via VADP layer (having said that containers present yet another level of complexity I think unless the NFS store was additionally mounted outside of the container for backup purposes).
To make this requirement more generic, the ability to backup an NFS mount could apply to windows based workloads as well - but requires the VM to be treated as a file based store rather than a VM object.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Ashley,

Sorry for the long absence from the thread.
I guess a VM would need to be identified as requiring to be backup up
Not sure what you a referring to as VM, so I'll try to paraphrase what you've said.

As I get it, a simplified model of the use case would be the following:

Physical Linux host with a container running on it. Any persistent data that is produced by the container is kept on NFS share which is not connected to the host. You want to backup the data that resides on the share. Also I assume that there is not much of concurrent access to the same files on the share since each container uses its own file. Is everything correct? What version of NFS is used?

Also the part about Windows workload is not quite clear, would you elaborate please?

Thanks
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Post by ashleyw »

thanks, yes the NFS layer (v4 or v4.1) is presented directly from the SAN (and not from another VM acting as an NFS server backed with block vmfs storage).
If there was a way to efficiently backup the NFS layer it would be great.

In a similar vain, to have support for being able to back up a persistent docker volume (using vsphere docker volume driver) would be great for enterprise workloads.

thanks.