Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jimscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Scott

Veeam Agent and Windows 7 My Documents

Post by jimscott »

Hi,

We have noticed something on Windows 7. When we do a file level backup on the C:\Users\<username> it backs up all the folders in this location. In this location we have 'Documents' and 'My Documents' due to MS Virtual folders. In the job setup the 'My Documents' folder is empty.

However, when we do a restore all the files and folders in the 'Documents' folder is duplicated into the 'My Documents' folder.

Has anyone else seen this?

Cheers
Jim
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent and Windows 7 My Documents

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jim,

What restore option was used? I assume it was a file level recovery but what mode was selected (you have an option to keep existing files or overwrite existing files during recovery)? Thanks!
jimscott
Enthusiast

Post by jimscott »

Hi,
It was file level recovery onto a fresh OS install. The option was "Copy" from the file level recovery window. We have done some testing and this issue does not happen with the previous version of Veeam Endpoint Backup so it has been introduced in the latest update. It also happens on the Veeam 9.5 Backup and Replication console when we do a file level restore.

It looks like the Veeam explorer Is getting confused and seeing the "My Documents" shortcut on the users folder as a actual folder.

Also when we do a restore the countdown timer goes into - (minus) time remaining. so for example if the Documents folder was 20GB in the backup the restore is 40GB by the time it duplicates to "My Documents".

Thanks
Jim
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the clarification. Please open a case from Veeam Agent installation where you confirm this behavior and let our support team doublecheck your application logs. Please do not forget to share the case ID.
jimscott
Enthusiast

Post by jimscott »

Thanks, how do I open a case?