Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam One HA options

Post by lando_uk »

Hi

Am I ok (license wise) to run two instances of Veeam One, one at each site, to make DR easier?

Will having two versions running add too much load on the vcenter, or would it just be best to run a cold standby?

If I was to create a 2nd DR server, can I use a backup copy of the original SQL DB so all my history and custom alerts are transferred to the DR instance?

Any other advice for making it more resilient, and not having to do any restores would be great.

Thanks
Mark
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam One HA options

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Mark,
Am I ok (license wise) to run two instances of Veeam One, one at each site, to make DR easier?
Do you want to monitor same infrastructure(set of objects) from 2 sites? If yes, you need 2 licenses. Why not to install Veeam ONE client on the 2nd site?
Will having two versions running add too much load on the vcenter, or would it just be best to run a cold standby?
In general it`s recommended to install Veeam ONE server on a dedicated server, however, if you have small infrastructure and/or really powerful hosts, you may try install them alongside.
Thanks
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Hi
Yes I wish to monitor the same vcenter from 2 different sites, so this would be monitoring the same 15 hosts (30 sockets) twice. Are you saying I'd need to double my sockets license to do this?

You misunderstood my vcenter question, I know that vone polling the vcenter creates load on the vcsa server, would polling it twice from different locations create too much load?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

If you monitor same vCenter from 2 different sites you don`t need to double your sockets, sorry for the confusion. You are licensed for the "source" sockets/VMs.
As for vCenter load being monitored from 2 Veeam ONE, that should not affect VC.
Thanks!
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Hi

Are all the Alarm definitions and config part of the actual SQL Database or do I need to export/import these if a new server was created using a copy of the current DB?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Everything is kept in SQL, so addition export/import is not required.
You will be asked to renew entered credentials though.
Thanks!