Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

replica vm - no operating system

Post by mcz »

Hi everybody,

today I realized that one of our replicas wasn't able to boot from ANY of our 14 restore points, - that's exactly the reason why there's a feature called SureReplica... Why did the OS not boot? Well, I received the famious message "Operating System not found" which is quite strange because source VM of course has a OS installed.

I've deleted the replica and started replication process again and the issue was gone. I'm just wondering why the vm wasn't able to find a OS. There must be a difference between source and target vm within the virtual disks or anywhere else but we are using RAID-LUN's (RAID 5 and RAID 6) and veeam is doing CRC to make sure that the transferred data is valid so I can't see any reason for data corruption.

Has anybody else seen such an issue? What else could be the reason for such a problem?

Thanks!
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: replica vm - no operating system

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

The message "Operating System not found" suggests that the Master File Table (MFT), if applicable, was corrupted. So the BIOS could not find where on the disk the OS lives.

Why did this happen? 1.) Planetary misalignment 2.) One of the Chakras was out of whack 3.) Flipping of the magnetic pole from North to South 4.) Random bit flipping 5.) Donald Trump's Tweets (why not?)

Take your pick.

Yes, this is a small attempt at humor.

Personally, I go with #4.

:lol:

Since you deleted and replicated again, maybe a temporary condition.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Nitramd, thank you for humor, you have made my morning quite entertaining :)

Yeah I think that #4 could always be persistent but really on a RAID 5? Is there a way that veeam is providing to do CRC on replicas? I know that you can run SureReplica-jobs but they won't do the integrity checks and it seems to be the second similar issue for replicas on this controller and of course I would like to sort it out...
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

Have you investigated running a health check? I'm not sure if it will run on replicas but may be would be worth checking out. I believe there is a tool that allows you perform health checks manually.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

You cannot run health checks for replicas via SureReplica-Job... I guess the tool which you were talking about is only available for backup files and not for vmware-files...