Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
francescorusso
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Francesco Russo

Disk on the BR are not full but the datastore is full.

Post by francescorusso »

Hi All,

I have configured my BR to write on a Windows Spanned Volume made of 5 Dynamic Disks of 5TB each for a total of 25TB.
Those disks are 5 Thin VMDK divided into 2 datastore and they are a 5 NFS volumes of a NetApp.
Today the BR was down due to the fact that the one of the 2 datastores was out of space so I have to storage vmotion one vmdk to another DS.

Inside the VM the spanned volume was not near half size full so how is it possible that the datastore was full ?

I know I should probably create instead 5 iSCSI luns (or less) and map them directly inside the VM but I do not understand why despite having free space in the D:\ drive (15TB free of 25TB) the datastore filled up;

1. was it because the disks were Thin ? Should I make them Thick ?
2. was it because of the vm disks mounted on the proxy during the bk ?
3. Should I create RMD instead of vmdk or it's better if I create iSCSI luns and then use iscsi initiator inside the BR

Thanks,
Fr.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Disk on the BR are not full but the datastore is full.

Post by foggy »

francescorusso wrote:I have configured my BR to write on a Windows Spanned Volume made of 5 Dynamic Disks of 5TB each for a total of 25TB.
Those disks are 5 Thin VMDK divided into 2 datastore and they are a 5 NFS volumes of a NetApp.
Hi Francesco, could you please describe this setup in a bit more detail, since it's a bit confusing? Also, what was the specific error you've seen? Thanks.