Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
dajwalia
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dhaval

vcenter server state of VC non equal connected

Post by dajwalia »

Hi, We are getting the same error every night between 12 and 1. Most likely indicating the time when the collector service is trying to collect data.

Our version of Veeam Monitor is 5.0.

Alarm - vCenter Server connection state
Target: vcenter.domain.org
Alarm: vCenter Server connection state
Time: 2/5/2011 1:02:18 AM
State of virtual center non equal Connected

Upon going through the veeamdcs.log file there have been plenty entries like ....

02/05/11 00:40:15 Error 0x1140 vcenter.domain.org "Collecting thread will exit due to serious error (The operation has timed out)"
02/05/11 01:09:41 Warning 0x0FAC vcenter.domain.org"Unable to map vim object (VirtualMachine; vm-1110)"
02/05/11 01:22:22 Warning 0x0E64 bv "Can't identify VM vmname (uuid: 4201d7f9-3535-78a1-3f02-184b0846e44a)"

Can we find a fix to the issue? Because over an hour we would get like 10 or so vcenter disconnected or state red errors and we would like to get to the root cause and fix the underlying environment if there is something going on.

Thanks,
-D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: vcenter server state of VC non equal connected

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dhaval,

Collector service is retrieveing performance data all the time, there are no specific time intervals between 12 and 1. By the way, do you have any maintenance windows for your vCenter Server? Do you see any events/alarms within the vSphere Client at the same time?

On top of that, It would be better if you could contact our support team with this behaviour, as I guess this issue will require further logs investigation.

Thank you!
dajwalia
Novice

Post by dajwalia »

It happens when the scheduled collection job runs at 12:00 AM everyday for veeam reporter. No alarms in vSphere client at the time and there are no maint. windows either.

I am already in touch with support and they are analyzing the logs. But the behaviour happens during data collection process only.

Thanks, Vitaly for your response.

-D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dhaval,

It would be better if you could continue working with our support guys, as reviewing log files from both products should shed some light on this issue. However, it would also help if you could make a screenshot of system resource usage on your vCenter Server machine while Reporter is performing its collection job.

Thank you!
hku
Lurker
Full Name: Iwan

Post by hku »

Hi All
We also have the same problem:

Target: x.x.x.x
Alarm: vCenter Server connection state
Time: 01.03.2011 23:20:22
State of virtual center equal Not Responding

For your Information: X.X.X.X is our VirtualCenter V.2.5.0 and Y.Y.Y.Y is our vCenter 4.1.0
The problem occured on the both VC version.
We are using VeeAm 5.0.0.261
Do you have any idea to fix this problem?
On the VC we give the VeeAm the read-only permission. Is it not enough?
Thank you for your help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Iwan,

If a defined matching condition is met then the corresponding alarm is fired off. Giving Veeam Monitor read-only is sufficient to collect performance data, though if you want to have a VM snapshot information, then you need to grant the account used to connect to vCenter Server with Datastore Browse permissions as well.

As for the error messages in your log files, let our support team investigate them. I've removed those logs from your post to keep this forum clean.

Thanks!
dajwalia
Novice

Post by dajwalia »

Guys,

This needs to be fixed. I have been working with support on this one, and per their instructions we have had the latest bits of Reporter installed. Still we would see the vcenter not connected error. The VC is a physical blade with a lot of resources.

What I hae also observed is while collection is on going, in the hosts and clusters view with VC selected on left and the hosts tab selected on right, we would lose the CPU summary value of one or more hosts. Then it would come back. Someone owes us an explanation as the solution was sold and we are not able to utilize it completely due to the above reasons.

Thks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dhaval,

Have you informed our support that your issue hasn't been resolved with the reporter's hotfix? This sounds like an environmental specific issue as we do have customers running Reporter and Monitor in a bundle, and I haven't heard about similar vCenter Server behaviour.

Could you please tell me your ticket number so I could have a look?

Thank you.