Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Bruno Varini
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bruno Varini

install a Gateway SCOM on a virtual vmware Server

Post by Bruno Varini »

Hello,
I've tried to install a SCOM Gateway on a virtual server on vmware but I've obtained this error:
"The Gateway name aleady exists as a computer instance"

On this server it wasn't installed the SCOM's agent.
The problem is done by the Nworks management pack that had created a "not monitored" computer object for this server that is a guest operating system on VMWare.

Do you have a solution how to solve this situation?
best regards
Bruno
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 361 times

Re: install a Gateway SCOM on a virtual vmware Server

Post by Alec King »

Hi Bruno,

To fix this, you need to remove the Unmonitored Computer Object in SCOM that represents the server where you want to install Gateway.

To do that, you must set the parameter 'Create VM to SCOM Agent Relationship' to False in our Discovery rule "SV102" (Target is 'VM').
That will stop the 'dummy' Computer Object being recreated.

Then delete the unwanted Computer Object from SCOM - there is an article here that should help - http://www.techlog.org/archive/2008/07/ ... ts_in_oper

Once you have installed the Gateway you can turn the discovery parameter back to True, to maintain the relationships between VM and SCOM Agent(s).

Please note - in our next update, we have changed the method of discovering this relationship, so those Unmonitored Computer Objects will not be created. So this problem won't occur in the future.

Hope that fixes it - any problem please let us know!
Cheers,
Alec
Bruno Varini
Influencer

Post by Bruno Varini »

Hi Alec,
thanks for your answer, now it's running.

best regards
Bruno
Bruno Varini
Influencer

Post by Bruno Varini »

I Alec,
I have to install a new Gateway on a virtual Server that was previously installed as scom Agent. We've uninstalled the agent, install the gateway, and we've followed the prodedure to delete the ghost server as described before. But the link http://www.techlog.org/archive/2008/07/ where is described how to proceed to delete the ghost is inactive. Where can I find these instructions?

best regards
Bruno
Yan Skoursky
Novice

Post by Yan Skoursky »