Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
weischris
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Weis

Backup Copy Interval

Post by weischris »

Hi,

I have a large vm, 1.8 TB that I am trying to do a backup copy over the internet. I have been using the full pipe over the weekend and the veeam copy job will get to 27% and fail because of copy job interval. I have disabled all my other jobs and have no time restrictions on this copy in the hopes of getting an active full so I can then get incrementals. My next step is to put it on a usb drive and ship it to colo in another state.

How can I make sure this vm copy doesn't fall outside of the copy interval or fails?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy Interval

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Chris and welcome to the community!
You need to apply Backup Copy Job Mapping.
After that only increments will go over network, so the job most likely fits backup window.
By the way, you may set backup window for backup copy job. It defines the time span in which the backup copy job must not transport data between source and target backup repositories.
Thanks!
weischris
Novice
Full Name: Chris Weis

Post by weischris »

I think I might be in a better position. I changed every setting except that the job would run every day at midnight. So when it hit the 24 hour time it stopped and waited for the next available interval. By changing this to every 7 days The job has now run for 30 hours. Fingers crossed.

As far as mapping a backup, I am using two HPE StoreOnce devices and using the Catalyst option. I have both StoreOnce's added but this backup copy is going between New Orleans and Dallas. I am assuming I need to map the New Orleans backup job but I need to send it to Dallas, so I use the Dallas storeonce but can't see this VM as an option when I map the backup.

I am going to wait this out and then next I will work on mapping the backup.

I am aware of the window and had been using it for other jobs. This job runs on a non production MPLS that I can use for this purpose. Thank you for your help. I will report back if/when this job completes.
matsholm
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mats Holm

Post by matsholm »

Hi
Since Veeam still not support Catalyst Replication as source for Backup Copy what if Chris set up the backup to one Catalyst store and then let Catalyst replicate the .vbk file to the other catalyst store. Can you scan the second Catalst store and find the .vbk file as imported?
poulpreben
Certified Trainer
Liked: 448 times
Full Name: Preben Berg

Post by poulpreben » 1 person likes this post

weischris wrote:I changed every setting except that the job would run every day at midnight. So when it hit the 24 hour time it stopped and waited for the next available interval. By changing this to every 7 days The job has now run for 30 hours. Fingers crossed.
This is what we always do for the initial synchronization of data from our customers.

I am using the following method for changing the synchronization interval (RPO) in bulk. Maybe that is useful to you, too.

Code: Select all

$bcjs = Get-VBRJob | Where-Object {$_.IsBackupSync -eq $true}
foreach ($bcj in $bcjs) {
  $options = $bcj.GetOptions()
  $options.GenerationPolicy.RecoveryPointObjectiveValue = 999
  $result = $bcj.SetOptions($options)
}
This sets the value to 999 days, and then you can use the same script to revert that setting back to your desired RPO, once your initial sync completes.
Y2kovu
Veeam Software

Post by Y2kovu »

Another in-interface option is to enable the job and then immediately click "Active Full". This supersedes interval settings, handy for particularly large jobs over low bandwidth connections. The only caveat to watch for when doing this is that local backup jobs can still interrupt the copy job, if they run while the copy job transfers data.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

matsholm wrote:Since Veeam still not support Catalyst Replication as source for Backup Copy what if Chris set up the backup to one Catalyst store and then let Catalyst replicate the .vbk file to the other catalyst store. Can you scan the second Catalst store and find the .vbk file as imported?
You should be able to rescan the target repository, where replicated backups land, to get then in Veeam B&R console.