Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevil
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve B

14 Restore Points = 54 vrbs ?

Post by stevil »

I know this subject has been covered a couple of times recently, I understand that they way backups are taken there needs to be a certain number of vrb's available before any can be purged. However, I have a small backup job doing just one VM that's been running for a couple of months or so. I went back to check the space being used and despite having the job set to 14 restore points, synthetic full incremental, I have 55 restore points to choose from.
I have no errors in my backups.
I just forced the job to "run now" and changed the setting to 'Transform', it appeared to do this, the vbk has grown from 3GB to 4.5GB, but I still have the other 54 VRB's.
I have to roll this out to several other sites yet and we seems to be getting a fair amount of 'VRB sprawl' at the existing sites. My veeam servers don't appear to be following the rules!
Any idea what's going on here?

Cheers
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Re: 14 Restore Points = 54 vrbs ?

Post by flavor4real »

I'm going through the same thing. I've set my restore points to keep on disk to 14 but I count restore points from 33 to 39 VIB's/ VBK's. I'm sure it's not veeam, it's more that we have to adjust the job properties. I'm reading through lots of information right now.
stevil
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve B

Post by stevil »

Well, I literally just ran another two incremental backups on this VM, and the retention policy seems to have kicked in. I have one VBK @ 4.5GB and 13 VRB files.
I'm assuming that the forced 'transform' job I did kicked it into life but I've always been under the impression that that option is optional. Surely you can just enable synthetic fulls and have retention work as it should without doing transforms or active fulls periodically?
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Post by flavor4real »

I have full suthetic selected and it works fine. I run a Job Mon-Fri, every 6 hrs (4 times a day), full sythetic on friday, the restore points to keep on disk is 14. So I go and review under Backup and Replication > Backups, the Job and the Restore Points listed, a see a count of 31 Restore Point for each server. Here is the confusion. If I set the Restore Points to Keep to 14 under the backup job properties, why do I see a Restore Points Total of 31 for each server under Backups.

Reviewing the target location shows, files of the amount of 31. so Veem seems to ignore the set restore points to keep on disk, which is 14.

It's a bit confusing... maybe i need to setup a additional full sythetic on wednesday night
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Steve, please have a look at this post, covering the details of a retention policy settings with Forward Incremental backup mode:
Restore Points and forward Incremental ?

Dennis, you have an expected situation, please have a look at the reply I've sent you.

I'm locking this thread to avoid duplicates.