Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DonHansDampf
Lurker
Liked: never

File Copy from MacOS Server

Post by DonHansDampf »

Hello there,

we have some MacOS Server in our office and i want to back them up via Veeam Backup & Replication. Till now we simply use rsync, but i would prefer to have everything inside veeam. Just to keep things clean.

I added the MacOS Server an Linux-Host and created a File Copy-Backup Job. I can browse folders and files on the MacOS Server and create the Backup-Job without a problem. But the Job itself fails after some time with an client agent error.

Code: Select all

11/27/2017 1:50:27 PM :: Failed to start client agent on the host 'Bauserver-5.ad.ganzwerk.de'
Failed to construct ClientAgentProtocol.
Timeout to start agent  
I guess that MacOS Server are not nativly supported, but i still want to ask. Maybe somebody already got it working and can help me out. Are any packages needed ?

Greetings
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Re: File Copy from MacOS Server

Post by HendersonD »

We have a Mac Mini server and faced the same thing when we jumped to Veeam. This is what we ended up doing
  1. We have two virtualized Windows file servers running under Windows Server 2012 R2
  2. We created a share on one of these servers
  3. We use ChronoSync (https://www.econtechnologies.com/chrono ... rview.html) to backup important data from the MacMini server to this Windows file share. ChronoSync is solid and easier to work with than rsync
  4. Veeam takes care of the rest since our Windows file servers are part of our Veeam backup and replication jobs
While the backup job does not go directly from the MacMini to backup via Veeam, this setup has worked well for over a year for us. We have done a few restores of data from this file share that holds MacMini data and it works fine. Of course, the restore needs to go to an interim location and then copied back to the MacMini server. Just like you cannot backup directly from a Mac via Veeam, you cannot restore from Veeam to a Mac.

I wish at some point Apple would allow their OS to run under VMWare which would simplify things considerably but that is wishful thinking