Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Question about DataDomain and Gateway Server

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi All

We have inherited a DD2500 from an acquired company and i'm looking to integrate it with our existing systems but I need to clarify something. On our DR site where this DD2500 will connect we have limited 10Gb ports. What I'd like to do is connect the 10Gb ports on the DD2500 directly to our Repository server. This will mean that there is no direct access to the 10Gb ports of the DD from other network devices as there will be no gateway and the network won't be routeable.

From what I can tell as long as I set the Repository server as the gateway for the DD it should still work fine. I just want to confirm this is the case and that Veeam doesn't need direct access to the DD for anything else? The DataDomain will be exclusively used by Veeam and the 1Gb ports will be connected to the normal network for management

Thanks
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Question about DataDomain and Gateway Server

Post by MichaelCade »

Hi Dave, I am researching this further, but i am pretty sure that your suggested configuration will work with a gateway server.

"Shared folder repositories, EMC DataDomain and HPE StoreOnce cannot host Data Mover Services — Veeam components that establish a connection between a backup proxy and backup repository (in case of backup jobs) or between backup repositories (in case of backup copy jobs). To overcome this limitation, Veeam Backup & Replication uses gateway servers.

In the backup infrastructure, a gateway server hosts the target Veeam Data Mover. Veeam Backup & Replication establishes a connection between the source Veeam Data Mover and target Veeam Data Mover, and transports data from/to backup repositories via gateway servers. "
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1