Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
accutech
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Crawford

SMB Version Requirement

Post by accutech »

Is there a way to get around the SMB v3 requirement in version 1.5? We just purchased the software and I'm trying to connect to a Quantum DXi4700 NAS share. When I try to add the repository I get a message that SMB v3 is required but I have no way of updating the SMB version on our Quantum device. I configured the Veeam service to run under an account in Active directly that I know has full access to the shares on the DXi, and this account also has full rights on the local server.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: SMB Version Requirement

Post by Mike Resseler »

SMB 3 is indeed required. But I heard already a few times that this message is a false positive (the NAS box delivering the wrong message when in reality it is an authentication issue). Could you try to add the computer account to the NAS share and give it full permissions?

Thanks
Mike
PS: Welcome to the forums Chris!
accutech
Novice

Post by accutech »

Thanks Mike. I added the computer account with full access to the share and security permissions and still no go. I get back the same message about SMB 3.0. When I run the Get-SmbConnection commandlet it does return v1.5 for that share. I am able to connect to the share directly from Windows on this server and read and write files to the share.

What about running the Veeam services as a windows domain account that has rights to the share?
accutech
Novice

Post by accutech »

Running the services as a domain user does not work. There's got to be a way around this, I know I'm not the only one having this problem. I don't want to use local storage for these backups as that's a waste of tier 1 storage. We have this NAS box specifically for backups. Is there a registry entry or a dll patch that can be applied to remove the 3.0 requirement?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Chris,

No, there is no such thing today. The SMB 3.0 is a requirement. I am not familiar with the device but is it capable of running SMB 3?
accutech
Novice

Post by accutech »

No I'm not able to force the NAS to run SMB 3. I tried creating a symbolic link to the share and while that did allow me to get through the process of creating the new repository, the backup job transfers about 15mb and then fails with access errors. If I'm not able to backup to the NAS this software is useless to me.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

You can try to create a support call, maybe they can see something which we are overlooking, but I'm afraid that requirement is there and as far as I know there is no override possible. I will check internally but as I said...
StoreThomas
Lurker
Full Name: Thomas Bluhme Andersen

Post by StoreThomas »

Also having this issue..... really need to be able to access SMB shares on NAS devices with stored user credetials. Trying to access a Netgear ReadyNAS which I can access with file explorer SMB version 3.11, but from Veeam Backup for Office 365 i get the SMB Connection 0.0 error when running the service as the local machine administrator, running it with Local Account I cannot access the share on the NAS at all...
StoreThomas
Lurker
Full Name: Thomas Bluhme Andersen

Post by StoreThomas »

Worked around my problem by creating a Symbolic Link in Windows... but still this is absolutely not the best way to do this :(
rockandroller
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Walker

Post by rockandroller »

Wow, that's unfortunate. For us, anyway - because THREE QUARTERS of our NAS suppliers do not support SMB V3!!

SEAGATE SMB V3.1.1 :D

SHUTTLE SMB V1.5 :(

QNAP SMB V2.1 :(

NETGEAR SMB V1.5 :(

A lot of these NAS hardware providers do not feel compelled to upgrade their firmware for us.

I only stumbled on to this on the weekend, when I had to restore a backup ( just after naively doing the Veeam upgrade on all of our workstations )
It would be helpful if you would put a big red WARNING next to that "upgrade" link

Pretty sad when hardware EOL is less than five years... :|
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

I might be confused but you did an upgrade on your workstations? This thread is about using SMB 3 for repository for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365. Are you talking about Veeam Agent for Windows?
rockandroller
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Walker

Post by rockandroller »

Yes, I was referring to Veeam Agent for Windows (now version 2.1)... Recently upgraded all the workstations ( and their corresponding recovery drives) - then I got a rude shock when I attempted to do a restore last week, and it refused to read from our backup NAS that was running SMB 1.5 or 2.1 (I forget which...) I had to rummage around for an older version Recovery disk!

** reposted my comments in the correct forum
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

OK. Thanks for reposting in the correct forum.