Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

New physical proxy server, are these specs OK?

Post by HendersonD »

We use Veeam to replicate 16 VMs every hour from our production site to our DR site. This typically takes about 16 minutes
We use Veeam to backup about 40 VMs each night. This typically takes about 3 hours for both jobs to run
  1. One job backs up these VMs from our production site to our DR site
  2. Another job backs up these VMs from our production site to an offsite Exagrid
We are using SAN mode and this is our current physical proxy server:
  1. Five year old IBM 3550 M4
  2. Two Intel E5-2630 processors, 6 cores each, total of 12 cores, 2.30 GHz
  3. 32GB RAM
  4. Four 10Gbe connections
In the next month or so we are purchasing new servers, here is our initial specs for the new physical proxy server
  1. Either HP DL380 Gen10 or Dell Poweredge R730
  2. Two Intel Gold level processors. A few choices here
    1. Intel 6132, 14 cores each, 28 cores total, 2.60 GHz
    2. Intel 6142, 16 cores each, 32 cores total, 2.60 GHz
    3. Intel 6140, 18 cores each, 36 cores total, 2.30 GHz
    4. Intel 6148, 20 cores each, 40 cores total, 2.40 GHz
  3. 64GB RAM
  4. Four 10Gbe connections
How do these specs look? Does it make much of a difference which CPU we choose? Do we need more RAM?
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: New physical proxy server, are these specs OK?

Post by jmmarton »

Assuming this is only a proxy and nothing else, chances are any of those CPUs will be more than sufficient. Whatever the core count is, multiply that by 2 GB to get the amount of memory you should use. If you want to get a better idea of how to size the proxy this section of the Best Practices Guide has a few formulas that will help.

https://bp.veeam.expert/resource_planni ... proxy.html

Joe
blithespirit
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Paul Szelsi

Post by blithespirit »

You will find if you look at the BP guide you will only need max 2 proxies to do this, two will be more than fine, use 1 for redundancy. What is your backup window? If 8 hours you should have no problem. Main question is do you replicate 24/7 or just during business hours so your jobs don’t overlap. Remember to factor in OS resources and 1 proxy core requires 2GB ram per vm disk (task) running. No need to buy more than you need, are you planning on all using direct storage or NBD mode, sometimes it’s worth having a vm or two running proxy services for hot add and fast recovery services. Just thoughts
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Post by HendersonD »

I will be using SAN mode for replication and backup. I will have this physical proxy server and one virtual proxy. I have been using the virtual proxy as the guest interaction proxy. We are actually purchasing a total of 8 servers, 7 ESXi hosts and one physical proxy server. I am leaning towards the 6142 since it has a higher clock rate which will benefit my VDI setup and the fact we are running some single threaded applications like Autocad Inventor.

I only replicate from 6am to 10pm M-F and do the backups overnight so jobs do not overlap