Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Websterm
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eduardo Nóbrega

VSAN and Surebackup

Post by Websterm »

Hi,

I saw the post about VSAN compatibility (https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-avoid ... ssues.html)

I have this problem right now but i only have VSAN at the moment and the Veeam server is physical. Because of that i cannot change virtual lab to a non-vsan datastore, so i have some questions.

1. If i understood right i cannot use surebackup with VSAN if VM's are bigger than 2TB, because disks are in NFS (surebackup) and redo logs are in VSAN?
2. That's true for everyone that runs only VSAN and Veeam Surebackup?
3. There is another way to make it work or VMware have to change VSAN to support SESPARSE?
4. Didn't test yet but i think i will not have this problem with Instant Recovery because i have the option to "Redirect virtual disk updates" as an option right?

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: VSAN and Surebackup

Post by PTide »

Hi,

1. Disk larger than 2 TB presented from NFS/VMFS storage requires snapshot to be created in SeSparse format. Since it's SureBackup, the snapshot will be placed on vSAN datastore, but vSAN does not support SeSparse logs.
2. Instant Recovery is also affected. As mentioned in the article, in some cases even hot-add mode will not work.
3. As a workaround you might try to present iSCSI target from your VBR server to ESXi host and use it as a non-vsan datastore.
4. Since you don't have any datastores other than vSAN the only option would be to let redo logs stay at vPower NFS server (VBR server in your case)

Thanks
Websterm
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eduardo Nóbrega

Re: VSAN and Surebackup

Post by Websterm »

The idea of present a iSCSI target will help

Thank you