Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Lian
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Administrateur TMF

Eject RDX cartridge after copy job

Post by Lian »

Hi,
As we all know, an offline copy is best to have.

Our copy job finishes around midnight.

The drive RD100 is a disk repository with rotated media , not tape. As such , the OS takes care of much of the work, there is no driver as such within VBR (as it was in Backupexec). The " forcedelete.." registry trick is done. So we are ok with the actual way of things but we would like to see the cartridge out once the copy is done.

So. How can we achieve this : eject RDX media as soon as the copy was done.

Thanks in advance.

Lian
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Eject RDX cartridge after copy job

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Lian,

As far as I know this is not possible with our solution.
Just an idea, can you run a script to eject the media after the backup job? If that is possible, you can view here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 how to add a post-script to the job
Lian
Novice

Post by Lian »

Hi Mike

after extensive reading , I feel that this feature , the support for RDX eject , could be a valuable one for the product (VBR) ,

for now I will try diferents utilities to work with the Scripting aproach.

Will post if a best one emerges, to benefit the comunity.

Until then.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

That would be great if you could post such a script! You are absolutely right, the community will benefit from it
Lian
Novice

Post by Lian »

I began with updating the firmware to the latest iteration and installing the driver DELL for the RD1000 - that was supposed to take care of some of the burden and installing an utility. No joy, the Dell utility do recognise the drive( but only if executed with eleveted rights), the driver is still Microsoft and an attempt to see if other drivers were installed on the system (so it could be changed) gave no results.

I then tried the freeeject utility. After several seconds, the elevated prompt returned no error message but no joy either, the cartridge is stil there.

In the explorer, the right clic on the driver and the order to eject is met with contempt and a message that the drive is busy and we have to first wait after or terminate all processes that keep it busy. I suspect Veeam BR, given that it is a repository (no, I don't have the content of the drive selected in explorer;that would be enough to keep a drive busy..:).

For now, it is only the pressing on the button that ejects the cartridge.

Maybe others have other ideas.