Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Slingfox
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Imrie

Tape drive empty

Post by Slingfox »

We're experiencing a weird issue in that when our tape job starts it reports that there isn't a tape in the drive.

It fires an email off to us along the lines of;

"Job ABC requires a tape to be added to media pool XYZ (Library: HP Ultrium 6-SCSI). See the corresponding job session in the management console for details."

I am typically awake when it comes through so I decided to check and cancelled the tape job, opened up HP L&TT and run a quick check to see what it thought. It identified a tape in the drive just fine. So I'm not quite sure why Veeam couldn't see it.

We're running a script before each tape job which runs the following PowerShell commands as a belt and braces approach to running an inventory, and then erasing each tape prior to the job;

ASNP VeeamPSSnapin
Get-VBRTapeLibrary | Start-VBRTapeInventory -wait
write-host "test"
$tape = get-VBRTapeMedium | where {$_.Location.Type -ne "None"}
write-host $tape
Erase-VBRTapeMedium -Medium $tape -Wait -Confirm:$false

It's worked well for a long time, but this issue has started to appear in the last month or two on two completely different systems, although identical in specification.

Anyone have any ideas? It's certainly an odd one, albeit one I need to figure out soon before our clients get spooked as they're copied into the backup alert emails and can see the warnings overnight when Veeam doesn't find a tape.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape drive empty

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chris,

What VBR versions affected sites are running? Any notes on that specific tape media (any chance it was write protected)? Thank you.
Slingfox
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Imrie

Re: Tape drive empty

Post by Slingfox »

Hello

The tapes weren't write protected, HP L&TT managed to write to the tapes just fine during the test. In regards to Veeam, we're running 9.5.0.1038 at both sites.

Thanks