Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sabofx
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: sabo fx

Req: Powershell hints from wizards in the GUI mode

Post by sabofx »

Powershell code hints at the end of wizards in the GUI mode

Some tasks in Veeam B&R are executed by following several steps of a wizard.
It would be very helpful if the last step (confirmation page with [Finish] button) would also contain example powershell code for executing the same task from command line.

I got this idea from the Microsoft exchange management console. More info :
https://books.google.nl/books?id=Zk-0E8 ... ll&f=false

@forum members: If you like my suggestion, please add comment to make this topic a priority for Veeam developers.

@veeam support: Do you think this feature might be implemented? :roll:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Req: Powershell hints from wizards in the GUI mode

Post by veremin »

But we already provide this information on the last step of job wizard:

Thanks.
sabofx
Influencer

Post by sabofx »

That is not quite what i mean.
The screenshot you attached doesn't contain any powershell code containing the parameters that were selected in the prior steps of the wizard.
Please have a look at the example URL I included in my post.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Given the sheer number of settings job wizard has, I don't see us covering them with PS examples directly in UI. Also, majority of our customers won't benefit from this feature, since automation is still used by limited set of clients.

If you're into more PS examples (it seems so to me after I've checked the book provided), take a look at our PowerShell Reference Guide and corresponding subforum.

Thanks.
sabofx
Influencer

Post by sabofx » 1 person likes this post

v.Eremin wrote:Given the sheer number of settings job wizard has, I don't see us covering them with PS examples directly in UI.
If you do not wish to bother/confuse the less advanced backup operators, you could make this feature optional in the application settings.
v.Eremin wrote:Also, majority of our customers won't benefit from this feature, since automation is still used by limited set of clients.
I understand that automation is not for everyone and I agree that the majority of Veeam customers wil primarily stick with the GUI.

However, Veeam isproviding a powershell interface (for which i am grateful) to serve those for whom automation is important, like enterprise admins.
I can assure you, that this feature would be very much appreciated by your powershell community.
Also it might even inspire other backup admins to invest time into automating their backup tasks.
v.Eremin wrote:If you're into more PS examples (it seems so to me after I've checked the book provided), take a look at our PowerShell Reference Guide and corresponding subforum.
Good example code in documentation is of very important. But the example code I'm proposing (that would result from the settings in the wizard) would be tailored to the customer environment.
This code would be much easier to interpret/implement. Therefore I still strongly believe in the added value.
Time invested in developing automated solutions by backup admins strengthens product loyalty, which in the end also benefits Veeam.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Thank you for the detailed feedback; much appreciated - we will evaluate your request down the road.