RESTful knowledge exchange
Char
Service Provider
Liked: never

RESTful API calls for partial failover

Post by Char »

Hello,

I don’t have a testing environment currently and I am using the documentation to do some pre-research for the problems I need to solve. Reading only the documentation made me wonder about something.

Currently in Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 I needed to know which tenant starts a failover and which resources (VM's, Memory etc.) were used for it. I figured this out for a full failover as you can simply get a failover session through a RESTful API call. And from this I can learn the failover plan that was used (which is always used with a full failover I believe), which in turn I can use to find which tenant/resources are connected to that specific failover plan.

But I don’t fully understand what a partial failover session looks like or if it is made at all. So my question is how does one retrieve through RESTful API calls the same information I described earlier for a partial failover?

Thanks in advance.
support case ID: 02410132
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: RESTful API calls for partial failover

Post by veremin »

Currently Partial failover sessions are not exposed over RESTful APIs, only full ones (which are executed via Failover Plans, indeed) . Thanks.
Char
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by Char »

Thanks for the info Vladimir. Do you also happen to know if there are plans to add this functionality in the near future?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Unfortunately, I cannot share any information regarding that at the moment. Thanks.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

Vova,

I have another Service Provider asking for this. There business case is that they want to count how many (partial) failovers the customer does and link a cost for this as well.

Timothy
BartP
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Bart Pellegrino

Post by BartP »

Trying to think out of the box here: make an Alert on the hypervisor each time a VM is being turned on (add variables for time/etc) and either hook up on that, or use a Send Email from the hypervisor as action?
Bart Pellegrino,
Technical Account Manager - EMEA
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

That would not be a bad idea. I also encouraged them to just make a failover button themself (via rest) and then track everytime the button is pushed