Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SamCOM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam

Feature request - Default job to automatically protect VMs

Post by SamCOM »

Hi,

We moved from Commvault to Veeam awhile ago.
A feature I noticed Veeam lacked compared to Commvault was a default backup job which automatically protected any VM's that wasn't in a job (unless manually excluded).
I've linked the feature here http://documentation.commvault.com/comm ... verage.htm

I realize I can run VeeamOne reports to show unprotected VMs however Id see this as a pretty good fail-safe.
There has been a few times we've had to reconfigure our backup jobs and due to my own human error, some VMs were accidentally removed. As well as new VM's being commissioned and taking the next business day for myself to look at the report.

Can I please request this feature in future Veeam updates?

Thanks,
Sam.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature request - Default job to automatically protect V

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hello Sam,

First: Welcome to the forums
Second: Sounds like a good feature request to me. But as always with Veeam, we receive a lot of requests so no promises made. However, this is also the time to think how you would like to see this implemented. For example, would you create a job (default) and automatically add the unprotected ones in there that are seen in the Veeam ONE report? (Because maybe they should not be in the default job but in a different one so you kind of get a false level of security if the backup settings are not good for that workload). You could also work with tagging.

So let us know how you would consider this and if you want something more (or less) as the way CommVault does it

Cheers
Mike
SamCOM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam

Post by SamCOM »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the welcome and response.

Your suggestion sounds the same as to what Commvault does.

There would be a system default backup job that is not removable and you cannot add VMs to it.
Unprotected VMs seen by VeeamOne would be automatically and instantly be added to this default job unless the VM was manually excluded from the job.
Should a VM be manually added to another backup job, then it would automatically be removed from the default job.
I'd expect the default job still be configurable with regards to guest processing etc.

Since Veeam retention is based on restore points, I'm not sure how this would work with regards to deleting old backups. Commvault uses retention time so the backups would naturally age.
Could VM backups utilize time, same as how tape retention is set up?

If the unprotected VMs in VeeamOne reports are accurate then this source would be great.

Thanks,
Sam.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the additional feedback. To answer your questions. We don't use time indeed but restore points. So if you have one restore point a day, and you want 21 days of retention... :-)

All good feedback. And as always with Veeam, every request gets noted in our system but also given a priority depending on other items.

cheers
Mike
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

I suggest using VM folder names on your vSphere for all VM's. You can have production, testing, management etc.
Then create a backup job to backup all VM's in the production VM folder and so on.
If you add a virtual machine to the production VM folder it will get automatically backed-up by that job from then on.
rboonstra
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert Boonstra

Post by rboonstra »

Assuming you're using VMware. In one of my deployments, I've tackeled it to create catch-all-job with the Datacenter as a source. I had created a VMware tag and assigned that tag to the exclude VM's in that job. It should process each VM then.
When onboarding the new VM in your regular management cycle you set that tag on the VM, hence it is excluded from the catch all. After that you assign the VM to te designated backup job