Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bertus02
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Bunch of servers VSS Writer Errror 0x800423f4

Post by bertus02 »

Good morning, I can cofirm that a temporary stop of the Microsoft Azure AD Sync service during the backup window stopped the VSS errors. I also just installed Server 2012 Express LocalDB sp4 to see if that will superess the VSS errors. Here is a link to the SP if anyone is interested.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=56042
dnorth
Novice
Full Name: David North

Post by dnorth »

bdufour wrote:Changing the service account seems to be working for me. The first Veeam job after an Auto (non-)Upgrade completed without an error anyway. Thanks, Blake.
no problem, i still haven't had to restart this server and all jobs for it are still completing without any errors. at this point, i don't think it's just a coincidence and this may have fixed the issue on my end.[/quote]

OK, I spoke too soon. It worked OK for about a day and a half, then same old error.

Btw, stopping and restarting the localdb seems to be just as effective as restarting the VM.
Peter Just
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Peter Just

Post by Peter Just »

Has anyone found a solution to this one? Multiple customers have been hit with this recently. I haven't had luck with the script provided. Some have suggested updating SQL Express. Is that the best fix?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour » 1 person likes this post

still havent had an issue on my end. but it looks like if i do i will upgrade sql to sp4, bc thats the only other thing ive seen offered here i havent tried yet. btw ive had instances where restarting the service(s) fixed the issue without restarting the server, but i also had instances where it didnt fix it and i had to restart the server anyway. its very strange, this issue, and hard to make sense of... also, another user posted (recently) repairing the db, i tried that first and it worked for a few days and eventually errored again - so its a temporary fix according to my judgment.
Marius_Aad
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marius

Post by Marius_Aad » 1 person likes this post

Marius_Aad wrote:Upgrading MSSQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB to SP4 fixed the issue for me. Multiple back up jobs finished successfully after that without restarting the vm.
After a couple of days without problems the issue is back again :evil: . So upgrading wasn't a permanent fix either.
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

im at day 10 since ive went the service account route with no issues while replicating or backing up the server. the domain service account has local admin rights on the server - we also use this same account for veeam to interact with the vms while processing (why it has local admin rights to the server- requirement via veeam for application-aware image processing). we use service accounts anywhere possible. (for your understanding this account isnt a domain admin account....)
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Post by hyvokar »

hyvokar wrote:Faced this problem again last week. Finally got fed up randomly rebooting servers dunring day time and scheduled a daily reboot every night just before backup. This workaround sucks just a little bit less than manually rebooting every time backup fails.
Have had no issues after reboot script, will keep you posted.
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
ibauersachs
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by ibauersachs » 1 person likes this post

In case you’re wondering why this happens:
– ADSync launches an SQL Server Local DB under it’s own user account
– The User Profile Service thinks ADSync is no longer logged on, and unloads the registry
– SQL Server though still has handles to the registry, but they’re invalid now

Detailed explanation:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... hen-a-user

In short: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->User Profiles->Do not forcefully unload the user registry at user logoff->Enabled
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Post by mamosorre84 »

ibauersachs wrote:
In short: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->User Profiles->Do not forcefully unload the user registry at user logoff->Enabled
Is this a resolutive workaround?
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

...after 2 weeks without any issues the original problem came back and now I have applied the suggested local group policy. I will let others know if it helped...
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

im at day 20, with no issues since my original post. i will be restarting this server this weekend before we run nessus (monthly thing).
stijnw
Lurker
Full Name: Stijn Wauters

Post by stijnw »

I found that reinstalling/repairing the sql express database isn’t needed if:

Before creating the snapshot you stop the microsoft azure ad sync service (pre-freeze)
After snapshot is created, start the service again (post-thaw)

I added the backup service account start & stop rights with this tool:
https://www.coretechnologies.com/produc ... ityEditor/

Found this tool via this blog:
http://davidcocke.blogspot.be/2015/10/c ... am_18.html
nicold
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Donny Nicol

Post by nicold »

I was experiencing this issue, after Microsoft Update patching and a reboot of the Hyper-V server, which is also running Veeam B&R, I saw the warning disappear. I have Server 2012 Hyper-V. Rebooting of the VM with Azure AD Connect only resolved the issue for 1 backup, as described above but the reboot of Hyper-V is what worked for me.
Wherever you go there you are.
dnorth
Novice
Full Name: David North

Post by dnorth »

ibauersachs wrote:In short: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->User Profiles->Do not forcefully unload the user registry at user logoff->Enabled
Thanks. That seems to be working for me. No errors for 3 days. The explanation makes sense too.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

ibauersachs wrote:In short: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->User Profiles->Do not forcefully unload the user registry at user logoff->Enabled.
This was working for me too. Thanks for sharing!
nicold
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Donny Nicol

Post by nicold »

bertus02 wrote:Good morning, I can cofirm that a temporary stop of the Microsoft Azure AD Sync service during the backup window stopped the VSS errors. I also just installed Server 2012 Express LocalDB sp4 to see if that will superess the VSS errors. Here is a link to the SP if anyone is interested.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=56042
I had a client with these errors on a site with Azure AD Connect installed on an Active Directory Domain Controller (not SBS) and the policy setting relating to "Do not forcefully unload the user registry at user logoff" did not resolve the issue.
I did not enact the scripts to stop and start the Azure AD Connect service however I installed SQL 2012 service pack 4, effectively performing an update to the existing SQL LocalDB components, and this has resolved my SQL VSS writer errors. I am continuing to monitor and, fingers crossed, hopefully this is the last I see of this issue on this site.
Wherever you go there you are.