Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
msmalls82
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Small

Veeam Agent for Windows - Installed on a Physical Veeam box?

Post by msmalls82 »

So I have a physical server running Veeam 9.5 U2 which is being used to backup to a local repository (10TB of onboard disk in a RAID5 array). I also have 2 jobs which backup copy these local jobs up to our Cloud Connect provider.

I also need to backup a local folder on this system (it also happens to be my physical vCenter server). When I install Veeam agent for Windows and try to configure the backup I am selecting "File level backup - slower" as I am only backing up 1 folder (an archives folder).

When I try to select my destination as a "Veeam backup repository" it asks me for the IP/Name of the server (I have tried the IP/DNS name) as well as credentials to use. I am obviously on the same system that has Veeam 9.5 installed on it so I am entering the same credentials that I use for my Veeam console. It is using port 10001. However when I try to connect it says "Unable to detect available repositories. No backup repositories are assigned to your windows account".

I can select my cloud connect provider but this folder is over 1TB in size and I am trying to seed it to a NAS which has been used to seed all of my other jobs. I took over this specific client and they did not have encryption configured on their Backup Copy jobs to their Cloud Connect provider so they are all being re-seeded. They also decided they wanted to backup this 1 folder on this physical Veeam server so this was my only option.

Any ideas why this is happening? Windows FW is disabled on this server so port 10001 shouldn't be closed? It's trying to connect to itself?

I am currently backing up the data by selecting a "shared folder" as my destination and just manually input the same location as the repository in the Veeam console. The problem is I want this same data to get backed up using a Backup Copy job. In the past when I deployed Veeam Endpoint/Veeam Agent and specified a Veeam Backup Repository it would allow me to create a Backup Copy job from that data. It is too much data to backup over the WAN, directly to the Cloud Provider.

If I backup this data to this shared folder now, then deliver it to my Cloud Connect Provider and have them upload it, then go change my destination to "Veeam Cloud Connect provider" within Veeam Agent, will that work? Or will it not detect the original backup and try to backup everything again?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows - Installed on a Physical Veeam

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Matthew!
When I try to select my destination as a "Veeam backup repository" it asks me for the IP/Name of the server (I have tried the IP/DNS name) as well as credentials to use. I am obviously on the same system that has Veeam 9.5 installed on it so I am entering the same credentials that I use for my Veeam console. It is using port 10001. However when I try to connect it says "Unable to detect available repositories. No backup repositories are assigned to your windows account".

Have you configured access permissions for your agent on the VBR repository?
If I backup this data to this shared folder now, then deliver it to my Cloud Connect Provider and have them upload it, then go change my destination to "Veeam Cloud Connect provider" within Veeam Agent, will that work?
This would work, you just need to map the job correctly as desribed in this KB article.
msmalls82
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Small

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows - Installed on a Physical Veeam

Post by msmalls82 »

Thanks Dima, as you stated it was permissions to the repository. Once I changed the access I am now able to connect.