Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
davecla
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dave Clarke

Corruption in Backup Copy Job

Post by davecla »

I have a backup copy job failing with the error -

Failed to generate points Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.Patch}: There is an item with the specified name and another type.
Failed to merge full backup file Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.Patch}: There is an item with the specified name and another type.

It apprears there is some corruption in the copy.

Tech Support have suggest I just delete the backup copy and start again. This isn't my favorite fix - it takes about a week to make a full copy to the remote location.

Can anyone suggest a better approach to correcting this - surely I can keep one of the good copies as a seed??
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Corruption in Backup Copy Job

Post by veremin »

Storage level corruption might have been the reason of invalid backup chain, but support team should be able find the root cause. If you're not satisfied with the level of support provided and don't accept re-creating chain from a scratch as an answer (which is understandable), you can always escalate the case, using "Talk to Manager" button. Thanks.
davecla
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dave Clarke

Post by davecla »

There was a (full) backup job in the chain from a month again that was marked "incomplete" - basically everything after that was no good.
I ended up removing all the jobs since my last good full (2 months ago) and starting again from there.

Disappointing that Tech support seems to be focused on getting the call closed as quickly as possible without spending any time sorting the underlying issue or assisting with recovery options.
Also seems odd that incrementals forward of the incomplete full backup ran successfully when the underlying "full" backup was incomplete.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There was a (full) backup job in the chain from a month again that was marked "incomplete" - basically everything after that was no good. Also seems odd that incrementals forward of the incomplete full backup ran successfully when the underlying "full" backup was incomplete.
Incomplete doesn't mean corrupted - most likely, the specified sync interval was too short for a backup copy job to complete full cycle, during subsequent run the job should have copied missing blocks for full backup as well as new blocks for incremental one.
Disappointing that Tech support seems to be focused on getting the call closed as quickly as possible without spending any time sorting the underlying issue or assisting with recovery options.
Next time, kindly, do not hesitate to escalate the ticket, whenever you feel there is a need to.

Thanks.