Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
eisback
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

ISCSI Target and network throttling

Post by eisback »

Hi, at our remote office (different subnet) we have a Synology NAS and we created an ISCSI Target which I added on our Veeam B+R Server which is located in our main office. To avoid, that the whole upload is used by the backup job I created traffic rule with throttling. But it seems that this is not working. Do I instead have to create a shared folder on the NAS so that the throttling rule has a chance to recognize that the backup storage ist located in a different subnet? Thanks! Nico
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: ISCSI Target and network throttling

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Nico,

Did you set up the throttling rules for both networks?
Please keep in mind the rules limit the bandwidth between the backup components. Thanks!
eisback
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by eisback »

No, I only have one entry:

Source IP address range: 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 (Main Office with VMware Hypervisor and B+R Server)
Target IP address range: 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.255 (Remote Office with Synology NAS)

Do i need a second entry like this?

Source IP address range: 192.168.2.1- 192.168.2.255
Target IP address range: 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

But will the B+R Server recognize, that the ISCSI Storage is located in the remote office an apply the network throttling rule?

Thanks!
Nico
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Sorry if it was not clear from my previous answer.
Since you've no backup component at the remote site, you should deploy gateway server and create an SMB share on the NAS.
This way the throttling rule will be applied between Backup server and Gateway server with NAS Shared folder. Thanks!