Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
codot
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Clement ODOT

VEEAM B&R and vSphere 4.1 U1

Post by codot »

Hello people,

Is VEEAM B&R officially supported with vSphere 4.1 U1 (realeased last wednesday)?

Thank you.

Clément.
Child of Wonder
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike

Re: VEEAM B&R and vSphere 4.1 U1

Post by Child of Wonder »

It may not be. I installed 4.1 U1 in my lab this weekend and any VM I had backing up with "application-aware image processing" enabled is now failing.
ErikZandboer
Novice
Full Name: Erik Zandboer

Post by ErikZandboer »

Same here. Upgraded my lab, and all backups failed that night. Well, all but one, only the Veeam VM backed up succesfully. It appears Veeam is no longer able to hotadd snapshotted disks to the appliance. I get the infamous "end of file" error on all backups, stating that hotadd failed. It only succeeds for the Veeam VM itself, which kind of makes sense.

If you are using networking mode then all is fine; I now switched my backup job to networked mode, but it is dead slow compared to the hotadd that I did previously.

I cannot be 100% sure, but I am for 99.9% sure that update1 causes this issue. I would wait some more for Veeam to finish testing (4.1U1 is not yet offically supported as far as I know), my guess is there will be a new version which is compatible with vSphere 4.1U1 very soon.

If anyone got Veeam running ok in hotadd mode with vSphere 4.1u1, please share!!
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by McClane »

I don't have any problems with U1 and hotadd mode and neither in SAN mode.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

I can only speak for NBD mode (which is great when you have 10 GB Fiber everything-to-everything hehe) and this mode seems to have NO problems at all. We upgraded 50% of all our ESXi production machines to 4.1U1.

best regards, Joerg
ErikZandboer
Novice

Post by ErikZandboer »

Interesting... For the record, I use ESX (not ESXi) nodes. Could that possibly make a difference? The problem is only in hotadd mode; network backup mode still works ok.

@McClane: What are you using? ESXi nodes? I assume you run Veeam as a VM (since you use hotadd mode)?

All jobs that try to backup VMs in hotadd mode show this error:

Code: Select all

BackupDiskSynt failed
Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[VM-LUN] MyVM/MyVM.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vCenter.domain.local];Port: 443;Login: [domain\adminuser];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-39];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-2793];Transports: [hotadd]] failed because of the following errors:

Server error: End of file
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

Hi,

that may be interesting. Could someone confirm the problem is different between ESX and ESXi?

We do not have any ESX left at all, upgraded everything to ESXi base. That is because the next release will only have ESXi base, ESX will be dead then. To simplify the forthcoming upgrades from vmware i highly suggest to get rid of ESX now. And i say that with sadness in my voice ;-)

best regards,
Joerg
ErikZandboer
Novice

Post by ErikZandboer »

@Joergr: You're right. But I have been using PHD virtual for quite some time, and they just did not have ESXi support for a long time. Yes I'll be upgrading shortly to ESXi, but not just yet. I'd miss all the fun!
alexfeig1
Influencer
Full Name: Alex

Post by alexfeig1 »

Working with both ESX and ESXi 4.1u1 here - SAN mode.
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by McClane »

We have a mix of everything. ESX and ESXi. Hotadd and SAN. No problems with any type of backup.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi everyone. Our quality control department has been working on testing Veeam Backup & Replication against vSphere 4 Update 1 since last week. So far, no issues have been found - core functionality seems to work fine (we tested on full ESX only by now). We are expecting to complete the full testing cycle in a couple of days. I will update with final results once the testing is completed. Thanks!
sixth
Enthusiast

Post by sixth »

Thanks Gostev....Keep us posted!

Jonathan
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

Thanks Anton ;-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

We have completed the testing for GA versions all products including Veeam Backup & Replication, and found no issues. So, vSphere 4.1 Update 1 is now fully supported.