Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Feature Request: ReFS File Damaged Alarm

Post by crackocain »

Hi

I dont know this topic opened before but this alarm can be very useful. Did you consider add this feature?

http://imgur.com/a/lUuJ0
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request: ReFS File Damaged Alarm

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I believe this can be added as a part of our monitoring engine for backup repositories. What's the solution to that? Do you need to re-create a file?
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

No, misunderstanding i guess. I'm not give any details sorry :)

For example clients think migrate 2TB ntfs fileservers to ReFS. Can Veeam One collects Windows Event logs? So in fileserver files any corruption then VeeamOne send a alarm to backup admins. Then backup admin restore the files.

Too many customers they dont notice files corruption. For example files corrupt 35 days ago but backups only 30 days. If Veeam One send alarm about corruption this will be very good.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Veeam ONE already collects Windows Event Logs on the backup server (our events only). As for the question above, I meant to say what is recommended to resolve that? For example, if we send the alarm like this, we should also propose the solution. Anyway, we will research on this internally. Thanks for the FR!
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

Yeah solution is "restore the damaged file ( c:\1.txt) as soon as possible." Its not necessary automatic solution.

For example disk size alarms. Veeam One actually resolve this alarm? No. Only alarming.

But i mean all VM's have REFS volumes. You are mention about only backup server. Maybe Veeam One cant collect all VM's Windows Event Logs right now. But in the future this process attach to backup process i guess.

Because client say "my old excel documents is here but i'm opened it then error "file is corrupted. Then backup admin have to try all restore points find the healthy file. This ReFS feature is avoiding error. Currupt file info instantly send to administrator and admin recover the file.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

crackocain wrote:But i mean all VM's have REFS volumes. You are mention about only backup server. Maybe Veeam One cant collect all VM's Windows Event Logs right now. But in the future this process attach to backup process i guess.
That would be a lot of data to store in the database. Depending on the size of the infrastructure, it can take up to 200-250 GB just for the events data (depending on the retention policy settings) if we decide to monitor the entire Windows Event log.

As an alternative to this (database size issue), Windows Event log motioning can be tuned only to a selected number of VMs, but this will not cover all VMs you have, so it is very important to understand the scope and the use case for this FR.
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel »

Any update on this? I plan to put ReFS on a secondary repository (Win Server 2016) and hope that Veeam One can report ReFS integrity errors from this server. Will this feature be available soon?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello, alarms mentioned above will not be part of the closest update, it`s planned for the next year release.
Thanks!