Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
koehleredv
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Koehler

What if backup storage is full?

Post by koehleredv »

Hello Veeam Community,

actually I am using for my little business Veeam Agent for Windows (FREE) and saving the data zu my 5 TB NAS, but
i am creating a offer for two business customers with "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Server"

Now my question: What happens in Veeam if the storage is full? Which possibilites I have to solve this and run backup again?

Or it delete the oldest backup automaticly?

Thank you.

Best regards

Michael
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: What if backup storage is full?

Post by nielsengelen »

This depends on how the retention is configured. For server take a look here.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
SlateTechnology
Lurker
Full Name: Slate Technology

Post by SlateTechnology »

I also have this issue. I have read the link listed as to how Veeam agent rotates data through the incremental (or restore poitns) and full backups, but it does not appear to answer OPs question as to what the program does when the destination is full.

In my experience, it will just keep creating backups and fail once it cannot write any more backups to the destination.

In fact, I came to this forum looking for support for my own similar issue, my destination drive is almost full, despite me specifying 90 days retentions for the backup, it is keeping 4 months of snapshots.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

Veeam Agent does not delete (or merge) restore points when storage is running out of space. That’s why we have a built in notification about your storage free space (if I am not mistaken we start to notify in backup job when storage is less than 10% free).
CLagarde
Novice

Post by CLagarde »

From what I saw, VEEAM only delete restore points when you set backups to everyday. Otherwise, it won't do it on selected days (let's say that you want to do backups weekly and keep 4 backups, than you will have to set it at 29+ days)...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

CLagarde,

Veeam Agent performs merge according to the set retention when backup job kicks in. Please check this Help Center article for more details. Thank you.