Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dennism82
Novice
Liked: never

Migrating to Veeam, a couple of questions

Post by dennism82 »

Hi,

We are in the progress of migrating to Veeam from vranger and MS DPM.

Now i have a couple of questions:

1st:
We have made 2 Severs, One with the full B&R install (the first one we installted) which also acts as Backup proxy, and one with the backups proxy role (Both are virtual servers on VMware and have 4 cores and 8GB ram), for our 2 backup jobs these seem to work perfectly as both are being used during both jobs and the load seems to be divided nicely, however for backup copy jobs (we have 3 BCJ's) only the main Veeam server seems to get used for all 3 BCJ's at the same time, which makes this server sometimes spike to 90%+ cpu load and full ram while the other proxy is going nothing, this even caused a job to fail twice before the 3rd retry succeeded. How can we make sure that for Backup Copy Jobs the load also gets divided between the 2 proxy's so that for example one jobs runs on Proxy 1 and the other 2 BCJ's run on the other proxy.

2nd:

On DPM we had SQL Log backups for certain databases run every 15 minutes with a full backup each day, this work fine in Veeam also. However we had DPM also running Exchange jobs for each mailboxdatabase every 30 minutes for us so that at worst we could loose 30 minutes of exchange data. Is there any way to implement this in Veeam also, i can't seem to find the option for this under Appication Aware Processing.

Kind regards,

Dennis
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migrating to Veeam, a couple of questions

Post by foggy »

dennism82 wrote:How can we make sure that for Backup Copy Jobs the load also gets divided between the 2 proxy's so that for example one jobs runs on Proxy 1 and the other 2 BCJ's run on the other proxy.
Proxy servers are not involved in the backup copy process, data is transferred directly between repositories. What type of repositories do you have and how they are added to Veeam B&R?
dennism82 wrote:However we had DPM also running Exchange jobs for each mailboxdatabase every 30 minutes for us so that at worst we could loose 30 minutes of exchange data. Is there any way to implement this in Veeam also, i can't seem to find the option for this under Appication Aware Processing.
If you're talking about collecting Exchange-specific data for further point-in-time recovery (similar to SQL Server logs backup), then currently there's no such functionality.
dennism82
Novice

Post by dennism82 »

Thanks for the reply,

1. We are backing up to 2 Synology's, both added as SMB/CIFS to Veeam. Where Repo 1 is On-site and Repo 2 is in a different building but on the same network.

2. That would be exactly what i meant. Not to big of a dealbreaker, but it would have been nice to have.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

dennism82 wrote:1. We are backing up to 2 Synology's, both added as SMB/CIFS to Veeam.
In this case both source and target data movers are running on the backup server itself and all the traffic goes through the backup server.
dennism82
Novice

Post by dennism82 »

Ok, so in that case i would either need to move to repositories that can run their own datamover (i.e. Windows or Linux) or just give the B&R server more resources to cope with the load i reckon?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct. Or you can limit the number of concurrent tasks on the repositories to avoid resource contention.