Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
antioneb
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antione Barrow

HP StoreOnce space discrepency

Post by antioneb »

We are currently backing up to a Catalyst store located on our HPE 5100 StoreOnce disk appliance. Veeam does not appear to be seeing the correct amount of available storage. I can login directly to the StoreOnce appliance and see ~3TB more of available storage in the catalyst store than what Veeam is reporting. We have two identical StoreOnce appliances, and both have a ~3TB discrepancy in Veeam. Rescanning the storage device does not change anything. We are running StoreOnce firmware version 3.16.3 with Veeam 9.5. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: HP StoreOnce space discrepency

Post by foggy »

Hi Antione, please check if physical quota is configured for the Catalyst Store, in this case Veeam B&R displays it's value (otherwise, storage real size should be displayed).
antioneb
Novice
Full Name: Antione Barrow

Post by antioneb »

Foggy, thanks for the reply. The physical disk quota is not enabled for the Catalyst store. One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that we have disk encryption enabled. Would that cause this?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Shouldn't be the case. Please contact support for a closer look.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

The most likely cause for this is the same issue that is seen when you buy a "4TB" hard disk and it's only displays as "3.63TB" in the operating system. Even though storage vendors and Windows both use abbreviations like GB and TB, they are actually using two slightly different units of measure, the storage version being based on power of 10, and the OS being based on power of 2, so, for a storage vendor 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes while for the OS 1GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes (probably more accurately abbreviated GiB for Gibibyte).

Veeam displays sizes in the same way as Windows (power of 2 so technically Mebibyte, Gibibyte, Tebibyte), while the StoreOnce console displays sizes typically used by storgae vendors, so base 10. For example, my small home StoreOnce,which only has 1TB of total capacity, currently shows 1,011GB of total and 824GB of free space in the admin console, but in Veeam it displays 941.9GB total and 767.6GB free. So where did my capacity go? Nowhere, because:

1,011 GB = 941.6 GiB
824 GB = 767.4 GiB

The small rounding errors are likely due simply to the fact that the StoreOnce web console does not display decimal and I was too lazy to query the CLI to get the exact value, but the point is, there's actually no different between these two numbers, only in how they are displayed. Note that the gap between MB/GB/TB and MiB/GiB/TiB grows wider as the size goes up. You didn't share your actual values, but for a 3TB discrepancy I'd guess your usable capacity is somewhere in the 30-35TB range, perhaps a little higher.
Jason.Wilkening
Lurker
Full Name: Jason Wilkening

[MERGED] Veeam and HPE StoreOnce displayed capacity discrepa

Post by Jason.Wilkening »

Can someone explain why the file system report for the HPE StoreOnce catalyst store shows that the total capacity is 33.49 TB, but when I add that as a backup repository in Veeam, Veeam reports that the catalyst total capacity is only 30.5 TB?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Veeam and HPE StoreOnce

Post by Gostev »

Please see the explanation above. Thanks!
Jason.Wilkening
Lurker
Full Name: Jason Wilkening

Re: Veeam and HPE StoreOnce displayed capacity discrepancy

Post by Jason.Wilkening »

I was doing some calculating and it appears that 33.45 TB is equal to 30.5 TiB. Even though the repository in Veeam shows the column as TB is it possible that they are calculating in TiB?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, that is what Tom was referring to in his post above.