Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
YannickMetz
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Yannick Metz

The object has already been deleted or has not...

Post by YannickMetz »

Hello,

i am getting this error in a restore from tape:
Restore job failed Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created.

We have 2 Veeam B&R Servers. One of them is located in our cold standby location and is not connected to the internet. So we are using Tapes for Backup and export them to the cold standby location for disaster recovery.

Veeam Server 1 is connected to a vCenter Server. Veeam Server 2 wont have a vCenter Server in the cold standby location. It will only have two specific ESXi hosts.

When i backup on Veeam Server 1 and use a backup to tape job to copy the files to tape and try to restore on the same server the restore works fine.
When i change the tape to Veeam Server 2 and try to restore from tape i get the error mentioned above.

I already rescanned the ESXi hosts and vCenter.
I try to restore to the same ESXi host the vm comes from. But directly through the ESXi host and not trough the vCenter Server.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: The object has already been deleted or has not...

Post by foggy »

Hi Yannick, one thing in your post confuses me, you're saying that the cold Veeam B&R doesn't have connection to the internet, however, trying to restore to the host where the VM originally comes from (while Veeam B&R dosn't have access to it). Could you please clarify?
YannickMetz
Enthusiast

Post by YannickMetz »

Hi,

yes, sorry for confusing you.

Right now we have both servers in our main location to test if everything works fine when we place the second server in the cold standby location. Both servers have their own LTO6 drive connected.

I am creating the tape on the main Veeam server and i am testing the restore from tape to the ESXi host the VM comes from through the vCenter server successful. So i guess the tape or the backupfiles are not broken or corrupted.

The cold Veeam server will not have a vCenter server in the other location so i am connecting it directly to one of our ESXi hosts to get the actual scenario in a disaster. I am connecting the ESXi host where the VM comes from.
When i put the tape in the LTO6 drive from the cold Veeam server and i try to restore from tape i get the error mentioned above.

hope this helps :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, I believe this is expected. You need to specify the restore location explicitly (even if it is the same host), since the original path the backup was taken from (via vCenter) is not available on the second Veeam B&R instance.
YannickMetz
Enthusiast

Post by YannickMetz »

I am specifying the host in the restore gui. I select restore to different location or with different settings and select the host i connected to directly.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then I recommend contacting support for a closer look. Thanks.