Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andi303
Novice
Liked: never

Services do not start

Post by andi303 »

Hello all,

it seems that there is a problem when starting the Veeam services using a local user account with the same credentials as an ADS account. Windows seems to ignore the domain prefix for services. The login-credentials for services are automatically changed to the format ./USERNAME instead of HOSTNAME/USERNAME. Therefore, after restarting the host, Windows complains about wrong credentials for the services.

My solution was to change the services logon to the local system account for all Veeam services.
Are the any problems if I use the local system account?

Thanks in advance!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Services do not start

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andreas,

We haven't seen any issues with both local and domain accounts being used for running Veeam service. We've just followed your scenario and every service has started successfully.

As a further step of troubleshooting I would suggest trying to do the same for any other service to see if this issue confirms for you or not.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct way to specify NT accounts in Windows is using backslash, so it should be HOSTNAME\USERNAME, not HOSTNAME/USERNAME.
andi303
Novice
Liked: never

Post by andi303 »

Vitaly,
As a further step of troubleshooting I would suggest trying to do the same for any other service to see if this issue confirms for you or not.
Well, myabe my description was not clear enough. I don't believe that this problem was caused by Veeam software, I think it's one of our GPOs that prevents creating a service with a local account.

Gostev,
Correct way to specify NT accounts in Windows is using backslash, so it should be HOSTNAME\USERNAME, not HOSTNAME/USERNAME.
That doesn't matter, Windows changes the syntax anyway.

---
Back to my initial question:
Are the any problems if I use the local system account?

Thanks for your help!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

One potential issue is that Local System account cannot get out on the network, so your jobs will only be able to backup to local storage. For example, backing up to a shared folder on another Windows computer will not work.
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

the other gpo setting that may be relevant is the ' log on as batch' privilege.