Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
schmitch
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Schmitt

Better "rotated" Drive scripts?

Post by schmitch »

Hello,
is there a way to actually run pre-/post- scripts only before a job is actually really copying data over?
Currently if I have a normal backup, that is connected to a backup copy job the copy job will start all tasks as soon as it goes into idle.

Currently our Backup Copy Job should goes onto a Quickstation RDX4 which should wipe all data before the job is started, but since the copy job is started way too early and then stays idle for hours it's a little bit strange to setup.
Steven Bricklayer
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steven Bricklayer

Re: Better "rotated" Drive scripts?

Post by Steven Bricklayer »

Hello,

Maybe you should put a wait on your script?

I don't understand your architecture, maybe can you explain us your original need and / or make a draw?
schmitch
Novice

Post by schmitch »

Sorry for my late response.

Basically we currently have a Quickstation 8's and use the StorageLoader to make backups onto RDX Tapes. However since we migrate to the smaller QuickStation 4's there is no way to configure it as a Tape Library.
With the Tape Library we could actually start the Backup To Tape directly after the Backup was made and the Eject Script would run at the end and a cleanup step would start directly after the Backup was made.

However with the "Backup Copy Job" this no longer works. Because the "cleanup step" or the "initial script" will actually run directly whenever the job is initalized (which mostly happens directly after the previous backup was done). However since the previous backup will eject the drive, the cleanup script would never run, since it would run whenever no tape is inside. Also the cleanup script would actually wipe the partition which I guess also makes problems with veeam.
What I would like is a Job that will run like the Tape Job and not stay idle forever.
krryyss
Lurker
Full Name: CetSI

[MERGED] Tandberg RDX Quikstation and Veeam

Post by krryyss »

Hello,
I want to setup a Tandberg RDX Quikstation 4 on Veeam B & R 9.5
However, I can not find any information on installing tape infrastructure mode.

Can you help me?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As far as I'm concerned, Tandberg RDX Quikstation 4 cannot be configured as a tape device. So, repository backed up by rotated drives seems to be the only option. Thanks.
schmitch
Novice

Post by schmitch »

yes it can not be configured as a tape device.

however since backup copy works different than backup to tape it's basically worse. it would be cool if veeam would have a possible solution to this since its really cool to use rdx/quickstation as a tape backup for smaller customers.