Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kbossak
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kerry Bossak

Protecting against another Ransomware attack.

Post by kbossak »

Hi again,

I'm the guy who got Ransomware in our network and it destroyed everything and we had to rebuild from scratch.

I've got all sorts of protections in place this time around but as 1 last line of defense, I run a monthly backup of all my VM's to a Drobo device and then I shut it down until it's time to run it again next month. I realize I stand to lose up to 1 month of data, but that's ok since I do more file level backups as well.

Let's suppose all my servers get wiped out again including the Veeam server. I then boot back up my Drobo and install Veeam on a new server. Would I be able to re-add the backup repository and re-scan it and be able to restore all the VMs to a new location? I assume there are credentials that would have to match, but I don't think that would be a problem. Would I have to have the server backup config saved to the Drobo as well?

Thanks!

Kerry Bossak
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Re: Protecting against another Ransomware attack.

Post by marco.horstmann »

Hi Kerry,

yes you can add our Drobo as a new repository to the new Veeam Backup & Replication server installation. You only need to
set a checkbox to scan for existing backups in the new repository path. Yes credentials must fit.

What lines of defense do you have implemented in your network? Maybe you can explain a little bit your environment to
see if me or somebody else can give you some recommendations how you can make your environment more Ransomeware proof
for the future?

Kind Regards
Marco
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Re: Protecting against another Ransomware attack.

Post by Technogod » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you would want the configuration backed up to the Drobo. After installing B&R, restore configuration and you should be good to go.