VMware monitoring with HP Operations Manager
rduario
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Duario

Installation Best Practice

Post by rduario »

Hi

I'm start installing the SPI for VWare, now I'm confusing where to istall the components in the Operation Manager or V-Center ? Basically , we have (1)one Operation Manager 8.x and (3) three V-Center server

I'm just newbies in the products ... Need your help

To install the nworks SPI for VMware, follow the next steps:

Question 1. Where to install the "VmspiOmwSetup.msi" " HP OMW Management Server Component (in HP Operation Manager) , correct me if I'm wrong

Question 2. Where to install the "nworksEMS.exe" nworks Enterprise Manager server ? , I'm confuisng where to insall in HP Operation Manager or V-Center. Because we want to achieved the best practice

Question 3. Where to Install the "nworksUI.exe" nworks Enterprise Manager Web UI ?, I'm confuisng where to insall in HP Operation Manager or V-Center. Because we want to achieved the best practice

Question 4. Where to Install the "nworksVIC.exe" nworks Collector(s) on server(s) with that role. I'm confuisng where to insall in HP Operation Manager or V-Center. Because we want to achieved the best practice

Thanks in Advance
Irina Simkina
Enthusiast
Full Name: Irina Simkina

Re: Installation Best Practice

Post by Irina Simkina »

Hi Robert,

We do not recommend to install our software to the machine with the V-Center. And we do not require any components to be installed there.
Question 1. Where to install the "VmspiOmwSetup.msi" " HP OMW Management Server Component (in HP Operation Manager) , correct me if I'm wrong
Correct. this setup should be installed on the machine hosting OMW.
Question 2 and 3. Where to install the "nworksEMS.exe" nworks Enterprise Manager server and UI ? , I'm confuisng where to insall in HP Operation Manager or V-Center. Because we want to achieved the best practice
nworks Enterprise Manager server and UI components could be installed on any machine matching the system requirements. However we do not recommend to install it to the V-Center for sure. The best practice is to have the dedicated server for it. Please also keep in mind that nworks Enterprise Manager performs the HA so it's better to have it independent on other (non-nworks) components.
Question 4. Where to Install the "nworksVIC.exe" nworks Collector(s) on server(s) with that role. I'm confuisng where to insall in HP Operation Manager or V-Center. Because we want to achieved the best practice
We recommend to have the dedicated machine for each collector (not V-Center or OMW server).

For more information please refer our Deployment Guide and Installation Guide.

With best regards,
Irina
rduario
Novice

Post by rduario »

Thanks Irina for the info ...
rduario
Novice

Post by rduario »

Hi Irina,

May I know what is disadvantage of the below components, if I install everything the in HP Operation Manager.

a. nworks Collector
b. nworks Enterprise Manager server and UI

Can you give me some details what is the function of the above compnents (nworks Collector, nworks Enterprise Manager, and UI )

Please advise
Irina Simkina
Enthusiast
Full Name: Irina Simkina

Post by Irina Simkina »

Hi Robert,

1. nworks Enterprise Manager (with UI) is the central license and management server for the nworks monitoring. It performs configuration tasks, load balancing and failover. It doesn't generate any extra impact to the machine it's installed on so it could be installed on the OMW.

2. Collector performs the monitoring by gathering data from the VC and publishing it into HP Agent native interfaces (CODA, opcmsg and opcmon). With a big volum of monitoring data the HP Agent can show the high resource usage which can impact the OMW work. So if it possible we do not recommend to install collector service at the same machine as the OM. However this is supported and could be used for the POC.

With best regards,
Irina
rduario
Novice

Post by rduario »

Thanks Irina for the info